missing audio off recordings

GoldWave general discussions and community help
raydioguy

missing audio off recordings

Post by raydioguy »

New to the forum and first time caller, (poster). My problem centers on recording music selections from the internet. Currently when I monitor a piece through my headphones from my mixer (Behringer X1204USB) which I record it to Goldwave, I get the entire spectrum of audio however I am not picking up distinct pieces of audio when I playback the Goldwave file that I I know are present on the recording. Saving as mp3 at 44100 192 kbps stereo Any ideas?
Tristan

Re: missing audio off recordings

Post by Tristan »

It could be you have a problem with buffer size. I don't what else would cause audio dropouts. You might fiddle around with the control properties a little bit to see if you get better results.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
raydioguy

Post by raydioguy »

changed all sorts of settings in control properties and file formats, recorded selection, played back and the audio is still missing (with some not pleasant changes) All returned to original settings. I can record the entire selections however it's nice to have the full file, not the "best of". This has happened with more than one recording over a number of years and if the piece doesn't sound good enough, I'll dump it. Not totally happy but at least it sounds like the old mono radio in the kitchen cranking out the tunes.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

What interface are you using, if any? Are you recording directly to your computer with Realtek, or are you using an outboard USB interface?
raydioguy

Post by raydioguy »

usb from CPU to Behringer X1204USB - so it should be bi-directional. The headphone jack of the CPU goes into my board (which I monitor with headphone or through an amp & spkrs). All connections and cables have been checked and doubled checked. Recordings from my mics (either condenser or dynamic) are clean. 99% of all I record off the internet comes off clean however I run in to the odd one where there are problems that I've previously addressed. It's just frustrating when you find a piece and it isn't reproduced form the downloaded file
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Have you double-checked things using another recording program?
raydioguy

Post by raydioguy »

You and I are thinking on the same wave length. A certain other "free" audio editor worked fine. So I have the "free" editor on my laptop and Goldwave on my Desktop. Yes, I have them networked. Run commercial beds on laptop into the mixer and voice and record through the mixer onto desktop. hmm. Thoughts???
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I can't think of anything useful. I use Izotope RX to record and use Goldwave just for occasional, simple editing purposes now. ASIO (incl. ASIO4All) doesn't present me any recording issues.
raydioguy

Post by raydioguy »

Thanks for your input. Tried ASIO with my focusrite, not a fan. Guess I will work with the "free" editor for those tricky files and continue with Goldwave for the rest. Maybe Goldwave should figure out why the "free" editor captures stuff it misses, 'cause people paid for the program. Just sayin'
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Are you using a LOOPBACK source? If so that could be muted or altered by other software. Have you tried switching to DirectSound mode in GoldWave (press F11 key, System tab)?
raydioguy

Post by raydioguy »

I'm using WASAPI as direct sound produces intermittent audio. No LOOPBACK . For those instances where I have audio issues I will turn to the "free" editor and save my lifetime Goldwave for everything else. I'm just glad it's not my audio set up and I don't have to spend hours trying to decipher the problem. Thanks.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

OK, I just recorded a 23-minute stereo file in GW 6.47, in 24/48 wav format, using Win 10 WASAPI, and a cheap USB utility mixer I got at Parts Express a few weeks ago, deliberately inviting failure with my equipment choice.

Result: No problems, no dropouts, nothing. I even reviewed the file in Izotope RX just for the hell of it. I don't know what caused the OP's problem, but I still suspect some kind of buffering issue, which is the reason for about 99% of audio dropouts. Buffer sizes can usually be adjusted. Maybe the OP just got lucky with the other program.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Given that the OP is doing long recordings in GoldWave v6, which uses RAM for temporary storage by default, the drop-outs are likely caused by Windows thrashing. Switching to hard drive storage should solve the problem (Options | Storage).
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
raydioguy

Post by raydioguy »

thanks for all the input. I did a reinstall and made sure that I could go back and forth to loopback and voila, it works. Now I need to know if I can put my paid Goldwave on a laptop that I have networked so I can dump that other free app...which has it's own issues. thank you