goldwave resample engine ,can i know what engine does it use?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sara

goldwave resample engine ,can i know what engine does it use?

Post by Sara »

Hi

reading around the net , sox should be the best resampler and SRC Resampler another one (maybe the second)

about goldwave resample engine , can i know which engine does it use?
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Re: goldwave resample engine ,can i know what engine does it use?

Post by DougDbug »

I don't know, but I've never heard any aliasing no matter what software I was using.

From what I've read, GoldWave's resampler used to "measure" worse than some others but I don't think it sounded worse, and it's been improved since then.

BTW - Aliasing only happens when downsampling. Upsampling is "simpler" and not as critical.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:37 am
I don't know, but I've never heard any aliasing no matter what software I was using.

From what I've read, GoldWave's resampler used to "measure" worse than some others but I don't think it sounded worse, and it's been improved since then.

BTW - Aliasing only happens when downsampling. Upsampling is "simpler" and not as critical.
hi DougDbug
do you agree that sox is one of the best?
it's even opensource , could be added
and DougDbug do you know a sox front end ,i have do downsampling from 48 to 44.1 to burn
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

hi DougDbug
That's what I've read. I assume you've seen src.infinitewave.ca?

They do have graphs for GoldWave 5.18 & 5.58 and you can "see" a "theoretical" improvement with 5.58. I don't specifically remember re-sampling with an older version of GoldWave, but I probably did and like I said I've never heard any aliasing or artifacts resampling with any software I've used. I'm virtually always working at 44.1kHz (CD) or 48kHz (DVD). Of course there would be a difference downsampling to 8kHz. ;)

The thing is... Resampling is NEVER mathematically perfect because filtering is required and filtering (even digital filtering) isn't mathematically perfect. So if you can't actually hear a difference (in a proper scientific, blind, ABX Test), does it really matter if it's "better"?

It's a little like asking if an amplifier that goes to 1MHZ is better than an amplifier that goes to 50kHz or like comparing DVD to Blu-Ray (on a regular-size TV) from across a football field. The resolution of your eyes isn't good enough to see the difference.
and DougDbug do you know a sox front end ,i have do downsampling from 48 to 44.1 to burn
Not a full SoX front-end but the SoX FAQ says foobar2000 might work for you.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:22 pm
hi DougDbug
That's what I've read. I assume you've seen src.infinitewave.ca?

They do have graphs for GoldWave 5.18 & 5.58 and you can "see" a "theoretical" improvement with 5.58. I don't specifically remember re-sampling with an older version of GoldWave, but I probably did and like I said I've never heard any aliasing or artifacts resampling with any software I've used. I'm virtually always working at 44.1kHz (CD) or 48kHz (DVD). Of course there would be a difference downsampling to 8kHz. ;)

The thing is... Resampling is NEVER mathematically perfect because filtering is required and filtering (even digital filtering) isn't mathematically perfect. So if you can't actually hear a difference (in a proper scientific, blind, ABX Test), does it really matter if it's "better"?

It's a little like asking if an amplifier that goes to 1MHZ is better than an amplifier that goes to 50kHz or like comparing DVD to Blu-Ray (on a regular-size TV) from across a football field. The resolution of your eyes isn't good enough to see the difference.
Not a full SoX front-end but the SoX FAQ says foobar2000 might work for you.
Hi DougDbug
yes i have seend the site with the compare about different software , i haven't understood foobar and foobar with foo_dps_resampler(sox) because the foobar installation doesn't include a resampler i guess

i will use foobar with sox , seems it gives very good results and it's free ,audacity should use sox too but i'm not sure
he thing is... Resampling is NEVER mathematically perfect because filtering is required and filtering (even digital filtering) isn't mathematically perfect. So if you can't actually hear a difference (in a proper scientific, blind, ABX Test), does it really matter if it's "better"?
I agree and may i ask you if you have to resample from 48k or more to 44.1 , what software will you use?
thanks DougDbug
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I agree and may i ask you if you have to resample from 48k or more to 44.1 , what software will you use?
I use GoldWave or sometimes Audacity. Whatever I happen to be using for the particular "project".

If I'm using a CD track on a DVD (which I do rarely) I might just let the video editor take care of the audio conversion to 48kHz, along with any required video conversion. I've used Corel VideoStudio and now I'm using CyberLink Power Director (just because I had trouble with VideoStudio after upgrading to Win10). I've got some other audio/video conversion utilities if I'm not actually editing.

I haven't been doing any video lately so it's been awhile since I've re-sampled.

If I've ripped a video and I'm making MP3s I'll just leave it at 48kHz. I don't think MP3 can be 96kHz. The LAME encoder can downsample, and MP3 is lossy anyway, so I'd probably just let LAME do it if I had a 96kHz original.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

From the help: "Resampling is done using a high quality polyphase algorithm with a filter length of 192."
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm
From the help: "Resampling is done using a high quality polyphase algorithm with a filter length of 192."
Hi
bur is it good as sox or ssrc(dbpoweramp) ?
don't you think it could be added the 2 above resamplers , and let the user select on of 3 ?
the goldwave engine , sox or ssrc
would be amazing
I have added some screenshot between gold and sox ,ssrc and foobar
https://goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 272#p24272
thanks Chris
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫