GoldWave 6.52 issue using "Save as" to write an audio file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mxbishop

GoldWave 6.52 issue using "Save as" to write an audio file

Post by mxbishop »

Updated from GoldWave v6.51 to v6.52. When editing an audio file, and then using the GoldWave "Save as" feature to overwrite an existing audio file, I get a write error from GoldWave. It seems to be complaining about file permissions. GoldWave then saves the file using an auto-generated name instead. I'm just doing normal editing. I've been using GoldWave for years. This happens on .wma files I try to overwrite using the File-->Save as" function with GoldWave 6.52. Here is a link to an image of the error message:

[url]http://www.anamorphica.com/goldwave.jpg[/url]

Note: I reverted back to GoldWave v6.51, and this problem goes completely away. OS is Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks for any help,
Michael Bishop
mxbishop

Re: GoldWave 6.52 issue using "Save as" to write an audio file

Post by mxbishop »

Just doing a little more checking on this issue. I reinstalled GoldWave v6.52. The "Save as" permission error does not occur when overwriting .wav files. But it definitely occurs when saving (overwriting) .wma files. I'm using a WMA 9.2 Lossless codec. This is from the standard GoldWave file format/codec plugin. Reverting to GoldWave 6.51 clears up this issue - and I can overwrite an existing .wma audio file without this error. Pretty sure this is a bug in v6.52 - but perhaps someone else could confirm what I'm seeing?

Thank you,
Michael Bishop
mxbishop

Post by mxbishop »

I was able to work around my issue with overwriting .wma lossless files in GoldWave v6.52. I'm not quite sure why this method works, but here's what I discovered:

I reinstalled GoldWave v6.52. I went to: Options | File Formats | File Plug-in Precedence
and set the precedence of WMAFile to just below the default GoldWave plug-ins, which have the highest precedence.
The WMAFile plug-in had been at the bottom of the precedence list of plug-ins. So I just moved higher, past OpusFile, OggFile, and FLACFile.

For whatever reason, this corrected the problem I was seeing, and GoldWave v6.52 now allows me to overwrite .wma lossless files without an error being reported. Strange that this simple change would have this corrective effect, as I didn't have this problem with GoldWave v6.51 when WMAFile was at the bottom of the precedence list.

Thanks,
Michael Bishop
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Maybe a different system decoder is opening the file. If you encounter the problem in the future, check the file format details shown in the status bar to make sure it is described as a WMA file. If it isn't then some other decoder is handling the file before GoldWave's WMA plug-in gets it. Changing the precedence as you mentioned would be a way to avoid such a problem. Also going to Options | Plug-in | File | GoldWave* and making sure that ".wma" is in the avoid list may help.