Naming sound windows without saving

GoldWave general discussions and community help
holtram

Naming sound windows without saving

Post by holtram »

This may have been answered before, sorry for wasting time if so - but is there any way to name a sound child window without going through the save process?

We have windows named Untitled1, Untitled2 etc and it might be useful to be able to rename them directly in the application as the save process can be time consuming on large files. Or the ability to assign a name to a new sound when opening could be helpful.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks for your time!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Naming sound windows without saving

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There is currently no way to rename untitled sound windows.

You could create a new, very small file, save it to give it a name, then copy/replace a larger untitled sound into it. Replacing wouldn't take any time at all if both files have the same sampling rate.

Chris
holtram

Post by holtram »

Thanks Chris that sounds like a good option.
JVV51

Post by JVV51 »

Chris;

I am unclear about your instructions. I understand creating the smaller file and saving it but when I copy a new large file and replace it onto the smaller file I am asked if I want to save the changes which takes just as long as saving the new file. What am I doing wrong?

John
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The instructions describe a quick way to change the name shown in the title bar of a sound window for a new "Untitled" window. You'd still have to save the entire file later.

Chris
JVV51

Post by JVV51 »

Chris;

Thanks for the quick response.

Since I misunderstood the post my question is; Is there any way to record directly to the HD without having to go through the save process? I record audio sessions of 45 to 90 minutes and the save time can take from 10 to 25 minutes.

Thanks

John
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave uses a specialized, uncompressed format when recording. It does not have the ability to record directly to a standard format, like Wave or MP3.

Chris
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Is there a way to save what I've just recorded without encoding to a "normal" file format?

Basically, to save a "project"-type file that perhaps only Goldwave can record to, but doesn't take any conversion time? I, too, record 90-minute things and don't necessarily have my mind made up yet about what file format I'll ultimately want.

It'd be nice to just hit "save," have it take the temporary file it's already been making, and presto--in 2 seconds--make a "project"-type file that I can come back and save as a "real audio file" another day.

It seems to me that if Goldwave can make .tmp files, surely there's a way to save them off as-they-are...right? I just don't know it, right?