CD Reader crashes my computer

GoldWave general discussions and community help
crayjay

CD Reader crashes my computer

Post by crayjay »

I have a Dell 3.06GHz using Windows XP Home and an external Sony hi-speed CD/DVD burner. The Sony has latest firmware from Sony support. Using the device driver included with XP. When trying to use the Goldwave CD Reader to copy tracks from the Sony, computer suffers a critical error and crashes. This does not happen when using the Dell's internal DVD player. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: CD Reader crashes my computer

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you are getting a "blue screen" crash or system crash, then it is most likely a CD driver or firmware problem. You'll need to contact Sony technical support to see if they are aware of the problem and if they have a solution.

If the crash seems isolated to GoldWave, please post/send any crash details.

Chris
crayjay

CD Reader

Post by crayjay »

Thanks for the reply. It is a "blue screen" crash and would appear to be a driver/firmware problem. What's strange is that I do not have a problem when copying tracks from the Sony using other applications such as Window Media Player, Sonic, etc. I happen to like the interface Goldwave provides with the CD Reader and would prefer to use it over the other apps (may have to just get over it).

Here is the error description that comes up on the blue screen:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What little digging I have done points to a driver problem, but the fact that the error only occurs when using Goldwave is puzzling. Any further feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: CD Reader

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you search Google for DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, you'll find thousands of messages about that error (not related to GoldWave) and a number of different suggestions for fixing it.

The other programs you mentioned may be using a different method for reading CD audio that is not susceptible to the driver error.

Chris