Clip editing in Goldwave as Sonar extension

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Infinite5ths

Clip editing in Goldwave as Sonar extension

Post by Infinite5ths »

Hey folks!

I have an old copy of Cool Edit 96 that I use inside of Home Studio 2 & Sonar 4. (I have the menu edit utilities, and Cool Edit is on the Tools menu now.) I've been considering buying a copy of GoldWave 5 to replace it. The features are better and the formats are more current.

I've got one problem. With the demo version of Goldwave, I'm missing one major feature I had in Cool Edit. When I select (highlight) a portion of a clip in Sonar and then open Cool Edit (via the Tools menu), that section is also highlighted in the Cool Edit window and zoomed to fill it. I can zoom out to view the whole clip, but the highlight indicates exactly what I selected in Sonar. When I open the clip with Goldwave, it just shows me the entire clip -- no highlight/selection and no zoom.

Unfortunately, when I want to do the same edit on multiple audio tracks, the loss of this feature in Goldwave makes editing more cumbersome. With Cool Edit, I just make the selection across several tracks in Sonar and they all open in separate Cool Edit windows, with the appropriate sections highlighted and zoomed. I've also noted that the SoundForge 8.0 demo does this....but some other program demos do NOT.

...is there a way to get Goldwave to recognize and show Sonar's clip selection/highlights when it opens audio clips? Is this something that's built into only certain WAV editors?
--
Mike, violinist
Eastman School of Music