problem saving .wav file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
dlyon828

problem saving .wav file

Post by dlyon828 »

I have GoldWave version 5.06, and when I try to save a .wav file, it gives me the following error message: "Error: The file is too large for this file format (4GB limit). Use Extended Audio, Ogg, or WMA format instead."

Now I did some researching and I found out that you need an NTFS partition on Windows 2000 or XP to save files over 4GB.

The file I'm trying to save is a .wav file and it plays fine in GoldWave and Windows Media Player, and it when I try to convert it to the IEEE 64bit .wav format, it tells me that error message! I also had a similar problem before with GoldWave version 4.26, only I didn't get an error message when I tried saving it... the program just crashed upon the save attempt.

I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I have 2 hard disks in my pc, the first is 120GB split into 2 partitions, which are both formatted with the NTFS file systems. The second hard disk is 30GB and is just 1 partition and that too is formatted with NTFS. I have plenty of hard drive space, and I have my storage set to a path where there is plenty of drive space as well. I have tried everything possible for the last 48 hours, and I don't know what to do anymore. Please tell me why it won't save if I have Windows XP, and NTFS file system, everything should work fine, I don't understand.

Thanks,
~David~
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: problem saving .wav file

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Wave files can store a maximum of 4GB of audio, regardless of how much space is available on the hard drive. It is a limitation of the file format itself. The only solution is to split the file into several sections, or to save it in a different format.

"IEEE 64 bit" attributes consume a huge amount of space. Are you sure you need to use those attributes and not something like "64kbps" instead?

Chris
dlyon828

Thanks

Post by dlyon828 »

is it possible to edit a certain file or registry key to remove the 4GB limit on .wav files? Yes I'm sure it is 64 bit and not 64kbps... you see I wanted to blow a file up to the biggest file size possible just for fun, and curious to see how big a file size I can get a single song... I don't like that limit, if I can get rid of that somehow, someway that you know about, I'd like to hear about it, because that is pretty stupid, as the only file that would ever get that big would be a .wav file and not a .mp3 or other compressed format, so why put the limit on that of all type of files is pretty dumb. If you don't know of a way, or if there is no way, then that's ok, but if you do know, I would like to know how, if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you for the response though! It is much appreciated.

~David~
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: problem saving .wav file

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The RIFF Wave specification uses 32 bit values to store chunk sizes. So the maximum amount of data a Wave file can hold is limited by the maximum 32 bit value (4GB). It is a fundamental limit in the specification itself, so it is not something that can be changed without writing an entirely new (and incompatible) specification.

The Extended Audio file type in GoldWave defines a new specification based on 64 bit sizes. It can store 18 exabytes of audio or about 3 million years of CD quality audio.

Chris