Cannot open Video in file: ....MPG

VideoMeld discussions and community help
BuPhilOh

Cannot open Video in file: ....MPG

Post by BuPhilOh »

I used free VideoMeld to extract parts of .MOV files created by my Olympus TG-820, and was satisfied. Now I need to extract pieces of larger .MPG files created by my older, standard definition Sony Handicam DCR-SX85, so I paid for a 1 year license and downloaded the latest version today (V1.20).

Sadly, immediately after doing that I discovered that VideoMeld apparently can't interpret these files at all. I get this same message whether opening large MPG files or small ones. It works with some MP4 files I created through Keepvid.com, but it will not open any of the files created with this camcorder.

I've used GoldWave for 10 years and I love it. (So much so that I came here first when I was looking for a video editor.) I had to download LAME files for mp3 and etc, so I understand if I need to add additional software libraries in order for VideoMeld to handle some file formats. But I can't find any mention of that on this web site.

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains how to get VideoMeld to recognize these files? Thank you in advance for your help.

Phil
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Cannot open Video in file: ....MPG

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Do the files play in Windows Media Player? Have you tried installing Apple's QuickTime Player? That may install additional decoders that VideoMeld can use. Installing Ffmpeg may be the only other solution, but that is complicated.

Chris
nerd00

Post by nerd00 »

Hello, I also have this problem. When I try to import my .mpg files, VideoMeld spits an error out at me. I downloaded QuickTime, but that didn't do the trick. I just installed FFmpeg; I don't know what to do now, though. I mean, how does FFmpeg help VideoMeld to understand MPEG files?

Thank you in advance,
- Caleb
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

With FFmpeg properly installed and configured in VideoMeld, VideoMeld should be able to open any of the video formats that FFmpeg supports (which is almost everything). Look for settings under Options | Configure VideoMeld.
nerd00

Post by nerd00 »

Thank you for getting back to me. I just browsed for the FFmpeg folder (C:\Program Files\FFmpeg) that I created; but VideoMeld errored "FFmpeg/Libav modules cannot be found in the given folder."

I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Thanks in advance,
Caleb
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure the folder contains all the files listed in the VideoMeld help. The version numbers on each file must match exactly. You may need to get an older version of FFmpeg if the numbers are higher. Also make sure you get the 32 bit version of FFmpeg (VideoMeld is a 32 bit program).

Chris
betterjoe

Post by betterjoe »

I have the same problem importing video files but I DO HAVE a solution. I use Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. This program has opened any video file I have asked it to. There are a number of formats it converts too. Wondershare will convert many files at once or one at a time. I usually convert to mp4 then edit in Videomeld.