Videomeld & theatre performance

VideoMeld discussions and community help
2leftfeet

Videomeld & theatre performance

Post by 2leftfeet »

I wonder if anyone out there is using Videomeld to play music & FX in a theatre situation. I am currently using it to play the audio in track 1, my music cues as text sections in track 2 and cues to the lighting desk in track 3. The text comes up in the Videomeld screen as the music is playing so as to remind me what is coming up next on stage, and the lighting cues (very short 1Khz audio bleeps) go to the lighting desk via a small electronic interface so that the light FX happen exactly where they need to happen.
By using the 5.1 sound option, the front pair can produce stereo audio and the cue track can use either of the rear audio channels to feed the lighting cue device. With 2 channel audio, the left channel provides the theatre mono audio and the right channel the cue beeps (produced with Goldwave).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Videomeld & theatre performance

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

That's a unique way to use the program.
2leftfeet

Re: Videomeld & theatre performance

Post by 2leftfeet »

We tried the method out last weekend with limited success. The school lighting desk was a new one with a limited instruction manual for the lighting guy to read. I had not realised how our lighting guy was going to set up his cues so the cues which the producer & had set up beforehand did not quite match up with what our lighting guy needed.
With only one tech & show rehearsal it was a challenge, but we were able to make the system work for the first part of the show only. Having the Videomeld screen showing the script, did help our lighting guy to run the rest with confidence. He thought it was a great idea. Next time we work together we will have a screen each and I will be able to put the cues in for him to use. Videomeld did lock up twice, but I am not sure exactly what the circumstances were (we were too busy to make a note). It will be OK next time for sure.