FFMpeg download

VideoMeld discussions and community help
rahollands

FFMpeg download

Post by rahollands »

Videomeld has an option to download ffmpeg modules (under "Options\Configure Videomeld"). However, when I try it I get the error, "Execution of request terminated with unknown error" and, subsequently, "Video decoders could not be downloaded or installed". I've tried choosing various destination directories and running Videomeld as administrator with no success.

Can I download the files manually and if so from where?

Thanks.

(Windows 10 Home edition 64-bit)
rahollands

Re: FFMpeg download

Post by rahollands »

Answering my own question. Here's what worked for me:

1. Download ffmpeg libraries.
URL: http:##ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/shared/ (go to http:##ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ to get the 32-bit version if that's the Videomeld you have). (Edit the urls to make them work)
The files required by Videomeld are in ffmpeg-20150905-git-d83dd63-win64-shared.7z
2. Open the file with 7-zip; extract the bin\ directory somewhere. I used Videos. You can put it anywhere that you have rights. (You only need the bin directory).
3. Run Videomeld and go to "Options\Configure Videomeld". Next to "FFMpeg/Libav folder" browse to the folder containing the folder where you put "bin". Select "bin".
4. Restart Videomeld as you're told.

I can now open and edit .mpg files. I'm not sure if this will break after an update to Videomeld but the help file for VM gives the library version numbers required so it should be easy to update them again.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Perhaps it is a proxy server issue. The download seems to be working on my systems.

Thanks for the follow-up answer, but please note that use of Zeranoe builds is against the GNU Public License (GPL). Also FFmpeg may include patented encoders that are not covered by your operating system. The end user assumes all responsibility for any use of FFmpeg.
rahollands

Post by rahollands »

I wasn't using a proxy, just Windows 10 which is having network issues of its own. I tried the VM download again just now and it was fine. As our cousins say, go figure.