huge export slowdown

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
tjcbs

huge export slowdown

Post by tjcbs »

I use multiquence just for mixing audio. When I export to a wav file, the export will be very fast for part of the file (i use a 3.4 althon64), But then it will come to a near halt, and will take minutes to complete. When I look at the cpu usage meter, multiquence is using very very little cpu time. What is causing this??
OKCBoy

Re: huge export slowdown

Post by OKCBoy »

tjcbs wrote:But then it will come to a near halt, and will take minutes to complete.
I've seen the same thing, and noticed that if I turn off effects and plug-ins, it speeds through. Since I had no effects or plug-ins for the first part of the mix, I reasoned that once it hits those parts of the song, it has quite a bit of work to do.
You might verify this with your experience by turning off effects. If it speeds along without them, it's just a matter of increased processing requirements due to effects.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: huge export slowdown

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Another possibility is that your hard drive is heavily fragmented or Multiquence is at a section of the project where many files are being mixed and they have to be read from the hard drive while writing the final mix.

Depending on the amount of RAM installed and the length of the project, the first few minutes of the mix may occur very quickly because the data is written to the hard drive cache in RAM. When the cache is full, things slow down significantly because everything has to be written directly to the drive. That CPU usage would be low during that time.

Chris