Multiquence will no longer start

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
NetReamer

Multiquence will no longer start

Post by NetReamer »

I've been a user of Multiquence for many years - Goldwave too. Today however, after having not used Multiquence for some time, I tried to start it and get to window. I do see Multique.exe is taking all CPU from a single core.

I'm on Vista Ultimate SP2 with all current updates.

Finally, since it's been some time since I used Multiquence (maybe a few months), it would be hard to say exactly what I changed since it last worked on this PC. I can't recall exactly when it worked last, but looking at the last few months of installations and trying to call out those that MIGHT be involved I can see new printers, updates to Goldwave, updates to Flash, new versions of TMPGEnc suite, new version of Quicktime, switched AV to Microsoft Security Essentials, installation of connect for Windows Home Server. As you can see, my system is well used and quite dynamic, but I've never had it effecting Multiquence operation.

I have rebooted. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Multiquence. I'm not sure what else to try. I'll try safemode when I can reboot later today and post again if that showed anything interesting.
NetReamer

Re: Multiquence will no longer start

Post by NetReamer »

So it turns out SafeMode testing was useful. Attempts to load Multiquence in SafeMode resulted in app crashes and warnings about Data Execution Prevention. When I added Multique.exe to the exclude list for DEP, I still had the problem. It was not until I turned off DEP (actually, it can't be turned off, only changed to be limited to "essential Windows programs and services."

Any thoughts on what in addition to Multique.exe I can add to the exclude list so that I can turn DEP back on and still have Multiquence working?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I can't think of anything in Multiquence itself that requires DEP to be turned off. However Multiquence uses a lot of system decoders and DirectX modules for handling audio and video, which may have problems. It's quite possible that 3rd party decoders or services contain defects that would trigger DEP. Unfortunately I don't know how you'd go about locating what decoder/service needs to be added to the exclude list.

I haven't noticed any problems running Multiquence on Vista SP2, but there is very little 3rd party software installed on that system.

Chris
NetReamer

Post by NetReamer »

Thanks Chris - that is the answer I figured I'd get. This machine/build is getting pretty long in the tooth (over 3 years and counting) and includes all sorts of software including some I don't use anymore. I'll probably rebuilt with Windows 7 soon enough that living with DEP off until then, given all the other security measures I already take, should be just fine.

-David