GoldWave v6 requires Windows 7 64 bit or later. It will not run or install on any older or 32 bit versions of Windows.
GoldWave v6 is a major update to with many changes across the entire program, primarily for multichannel support for up to 8 channels and 64 bit executable for accessing more than 2 GB of memory. The WhatsNew file located in the folder where GoldWave is installed lists all the changes.
Larger tool bar buttons, themes, and many other interface changes have been made to improve usability. The old compiled help system and manual have been replaced with a unified help file in standard HTML format.
- Only mono, stereo, 3.1, 5.1, and 7.1 channel layouts are supported. 4 channel stereo front/rear is not supported.
- Memory storage is now used by default for faster processing. To use hard drive storage, use Options | Storage to change the setting. Files stored in memory cannot be recovered if a crash occurs.
- Settings are now stored in a file in standard XML format in the application data folder instead of the Windows registry. Licenses, which were stored in the registry, are not found automatically. A license must be entered again. Custom settings and presets from older versions of GoldWave will not be carried over to v6.
- APEFile, GWBPMCounter, GWMPVisual, DirectX plug-ins have not been updated yet.
- Some plug-ins are cannot supported. These include:
- QTFile - 64 bit version of QTMLClient.dll is not provided by Apple.
- GWAMP - 32 bit plug-ins cannot be loaded into a 64 bit program.