mp3 edition

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Kummel

mp3 edition

Post by Kummel »

I edit every day a mp3 from NHK, 48000Hz mono 64kbps, to remove the intro and end musics and keep only the talk part. In the middle, I remove a part easily detectable by sight, and I stated that when I scroll for a precision where a sample is wider than a pixel, Goldwave is frozen and it keeps using 50% of the CPU. If I save as wave before editing, I can scroll as wide as i want, Goldwave then isn't blocked anymore.
:D
Alexufo

Re: mp3 edition

Post by Alexufo »

Kummel wrote:I edit every day a mp3 from NHK, 48000Hz mono 64kbps, to remove the intro and end musics and keep only the talk part. In the middle, I remove a part easily detectable by sight, and I stated that when I scroll for a precision where a sample is wider than a pixel, Goldwave is frozen and it keeps using 50% of the CPU. If I save as wave before editing, I can scroll as wide as i want, Goldwave then isn't blocked anymore.
In your case may be your hard drive have same problem. Goldwave is stable program! ( if not use plugins) Or your mp3 file have locked by another program.
try to give for goldwave more storage for temporary files.

Place your file here and i try to reproduce your actions.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

Podcasted from here with iTunes: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/rj/podcast/rss/french.xml

On the hard drive, I have 290 Gigaoctets of free space, and I edit much bigger files with no problem
Alexufo

Post by Alexufo »

Kummel wrote:Podcasted from here with iTunes: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/rj/podcast/rss/french.xml

On the hard drive, I have 290 Gigaoctets of free space, and I edit much bigger files with no problem
I have no problem with your file. Thus this is not Goldwave's bug.

Hm... i dont now how use debugger , but i can spying goldwave's actions for hdd sectors by filemon

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96642.aspx
Maybe spying by reproducing your bug give some resoults.

---------------
http://boomp3.com/listen/c19jz7wat_i/07 ... 0%BD%D1%8B
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

That is a bizarre problem.

I can load an mp3 (can't download the particular one right now), zoom in as far as GW will let me, and have no problem jumping back and forth at that zoom level.

How much ram do you have? Not hard disk space, but actual ram? I'm running about 3 gigs in Vista which is, more than enough for long files (my laptop will open and edit anything). My first thought is you don't have enough ram, so it might be freezing when accessing from hdd temp storage.

I also wouldn't rule out some crazy bug with the mp3 itself.

When you say much bigger files...do you mean larger in length or size? You have to remember that the relative size of an audio file increases with the quality...so if you're editing say a 5 minute 44.1/16/stereo audio-cd track, you're using less space than say a 5 minute 96/24/stereo DVD-Audio track. If your larger files were a lower sampling rate, well, that might be why they worked.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

Windows XP SP3, dual core intel 2.40 GHz, 2 Go of Ram

Much bigger: longer in time (2 hours) or size (320 kbps mp3 or 44100Hz 32 bit, or even 192000Hz)

It doesn't freeze when I scrol to a one sample=one pixel or just above, but when I try to scroll more to the maximum enlargement, before I reach this maximum.
Alexufo

Post by Alexufo »

Kummel wrote:Windows XP SP3, dual core intel 2.40 GHz, 2 Go of Ram

Much bigger: longer in time (2 hours) or size (320 kbps mp3 or 44100Hz 32 bit, or even 192000Hz)

It doesn't freeze when I scrol to a one sample=one pixel or just above, but when I try to scroll more to the maximum enlargement, before I reach this maximum.
May be same mmmm drivers for matheboard. i dont know.
Kummel, if you try to test goldwave on clean computer -reinstall windows its a good test :-)
Motherboard drivers installed fist ? installed before all system drivers?
you don't remember? :shock: