files saved as "wave pcm signed 24bit" seen as &qu

GoldWave general discussions and community help
aklosak

files saved as "wave pcm signed 24bit" seen as &qu

Post by aklosak »

I have a problem with saving high quality .wav files
I have recorder 24bit/192kHz mono .wav files (BWF standard) with FOSTEX FR2 filed recorder. After opening them in GoldWave 5.1, and using "save selection" option, with attributes "wave pcm 24 bit signed", when I try to open them in SIA Smaart Analisys module, they are seen as 18-bit files !!!

If I try to reopen them in GoldWave they are seen as 24bit files

can anybody tell me if I am doing something wrong ?

warm regards
andy
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: files saved as "wave pcm signed 24bit" seen as

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Recent versions of GoldWave use the new format for 24 bit audio files, which may not be compatible with older software. Try making a copy of the original file, use Edit | Trim and save it without using Save As or Save Selection As. That will use the old 24 bit format from the original file when saving. Also contact SIA Software technical support.

Chris
aklosak

Post by aklosak »

thanks

it helped

regards
andy
joe.b

Re: files saved as "wave pcm signed 24bit" seen as

Post by joe.b »

aklosak wrote:I have recorder 24bit/192kHz mono .wav files (BWF standard) with FOSTEX FR2 filed recorder. After opening them in GoldWave...
aklosak,

I noticed that you use a Fostex FR2 field recorder. I am considering purchasing a Fostex FR2-LE that records to the BWF and MP3 formats. I want to use the hgher-quality BWF format, but Goldwave does not natively support this format.

Did you do anything to convert the BWF files before opening them in Goldwave?

Thanks,
Joe
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

the Broadcast Wave Format is merely an extension of the WAV format. the only difference is a chunk of data that contains the extended information.

you won't have access to some of the special features of broadcast wave, however, you'll still be able to open the audio data within goldwave because the actual PCM data conforms to original wave specifications.

also, BWF is not a "higher quality" format. it's merely a format that contains more information that would lend itself to broadcasting/archiving purposes. deep down, it's still a WAV. PCM data is PCM data.

I would also imagine bumping a topic from 3 years ago isn't the best way to find this stuff out. that user, like others, generally have one issue, ask for help, then leave and never come back.
joe.b

Post by joe.b »

Thanks DewDude420.

I realise it was a long shot to bump this thread but I thought I might be lucky! This particular user had experience with the type of device I'm hoping to purchase so I thought it would be a good place to start.

I'll move over to the other BWF thread now...

Thanks again,
Joe