DC Offset not showing properly

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Cyberdude

Post by Cyberdude »

DewDude420 wrote:this leads me back to what I said.

learn *HOW* your audio program works rather than assuming how it works

i learned goldwave did that YEARS ago. goldwave is an entirely different beast...you have to remember that it was around before a LOT of DAW software even existed.
So I'm to assume that since *YOU* use it, and it's been around for a long time that it MUST be the best around? How quaint!
oh...and whatever your voice recorder is...from a professional standpoint...is garbage. you shouldn't even HAVE an offset to begin with. it obviously is a subpar 8 or 12-bit chip...it uses offset to mask that.
And if logical arguments don't work - resort to insults to change the topic! Oh! You're from Washington DC - no WONDER! That explains everything! You must know more than ANYBODY else.
Thanks for your (not so) professional opinion! Since I disagree with you, then I must be in error...
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Can we please END this thread here? The original issue/question has been answered. It's starting to get personel, and we're getting nowhere.

I'm not reading this thread anymore.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

a)

I never said it was the best around. You wanna know what I think is the best around? ProTools HD. I've used a LOT of audio software sir.

b)

I was merely trying to figure out why you had an offset to begin with. No audio device should ever introduce an offset. EVER.

The point I was trying to get across is you came on here, screaming that Goldwave was doing something wrong when THAT'S the way Goldwave does it. All I'm trying to say is learn the software before you go making assumptions.

But if all you want to do is twist what I say around so I'm the one that looks like a prick...that's quite alright. I know the world is full of actual pricks who try to hide themselves by making others look that way and there's really nothing I can do about it but sit back and bear it....I mean...I DO live near DC...it's prick central.

Perhaps I should stop giving out free advice/help here since all people want to do is throw it back in my face.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I guess it all depends on what you are used to. A dc offset looks different in GoldWave, but it is still very noticeable.

To speed up waveform drawing, GoldWave does not scan every single sample when zoomed out. Also GoldWave does not create peak files. That means a 40MB file draws about as quickly as a 4000MB file and you don't have to store large peak files or wait for them to be generated (and regenerated every time the file is modified).

The drawback is that the zoomed out waveform is not as accurate as it could be. Most of the time you can't tell the difference anyway, so the time and storage space required for peak data isn't helpful for most GoldWave users.

GoldWave has lots of ways of removing a dc offset (Offset effect, Auto Offset Removal GWVoice effect, a highpass filter, "Filter dc offset" recording option). Regardless of how GoldWave displays the waveform, the file needs to be fixed.

Chris
Last edited by GoldWave Inc. on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

A highpass filter 20 Hz steepness 1 will also work very well, and even will remove offset variations within the file.
Last edited by Kummel on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

That should read "GoldWave does not create peak files." I've fixed that in my previous post.

Chris