Listen to "Red River Valley" Cool!!!

GoldWave general discussions and community help
cdeamaze

Listen to "Red River Valley" Cool!!!

Post by cdeamaze »

Here is another example of computer generated music using expression evaluator and a single math equation. This time, instead of a children song, I chose a love song called "Red River Valley".

FYI, the song is implemented at the following site using Java Technology:
http://cdeamaze.tripod.com/RedRiverValley.html

You can select or Combined, Treble, or Bass for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!

P. S. For those who are not familiar with expression evaluator and math equation or if you have trouble hear any music, please read the post Listening to "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star".
viewtopic.php?t=1658
Last edited by cdeamaze on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdeamaze

Listen to "Red River Valley"

Post by cdeamaze »

A basic midi version of the song is implemented and posted to the same site. For comparison, a professional midi version, downloaded from Internet, is also included for your listening pleasure. The new menu now has 5 choices: Treble, Bass, Combine, Midi Basic, and Midi Pro.

All except the last song (midi pro) are my original work. Please note the last two entries have nothing to do with GoldWave. In fact, GoldWave does not support midi files. The midi file is extremely small (1.34k bytes). By contrast, the size of combined version is one thousand times bigger at 1.36M bytes!
cdeamaze

If you can not hear any music...

Post by cdeamaze »

First, be patient. These are big files: 1.4 M bytes for each wave file. Allow your system suffuicient time to load. It may take you as long as 5 minutes depending on your Internet connection. After you click the link if you have slow internet connection: grab a cup of coffee, or find your favorite hobby to do, before you return.

What if I still can not hear any music when I return... :(
Check the follwing instructions:
System Requirements:
(1)Newer Browser such as Internet Explorer 6.0 or later, Netscape 7.0 or later.
(2)The above web page is using Java technology! That means you need to enable Java if you have not done so. Here is how you do for Internet Explorer users:
Within Internet Explorer menus, find the menu Tools, and then find its submenu Internet Options... which in turn will lead you to its own tab Advnced. Click on Advanced tab, look for a "coffee cup" icon , this is the Java(Sun) category. There is only one checkbox, make sure it is checked. While you are at Advanced tab, go to near the bottom of your list to find a "lock" icon, this is the Security Category. There are many checkboxes in this category. Find the 2nd checkbox with title "Allow active content to run in files on my computer". Make sure it is checked also. Finally, click OK.
(3)Make sure your turn your speakers on. Louder if you have trouble listening.

How can I tell if my system is working when I return?
First you will see a coffee cup, which is a Java logo. If you see signs of coffee brewing, you know Java is loading an applet. Wait for the "four-season" picture to load. If you see the picture, you are in good shape! There is a control above the picture, it has 5 options: Treble, Bass, Combined, Midi Basic, or Midi Pro, pick the one you like. When you change your option, it also changes picture for you. Now you are ready to enjoy! :D
cdeamaze

Listen to Red River Valley

Post by cdeamaze »

It is nice to hear midi pro, but we need someone (preferably a Male/Female team) who can sing for us here. Fortunately, we have the last two pieces which I call wave pro. The artists are Twins (two Females) and Kim Novak & Jim Reeder respectively(Female/Male). They are readily available from the Internet but I decided to include them for your listening pleasure.

The new menu now has 7 choices: Treble, Bass, Wave Basic, Midi Basic, Midi Pro, Wave pro- Twins and Wave pro- Novak & Reeder . As before, Wave Basic (formally Combined) is a mix of the first two songs: Treble and Bass. Notice that 4th and 5th entry are midi files which are NOT supported by GoldWave.

As we add the menu, it will take extra time to load. Make sure you give sufficient time to load and enjoy!
zercath

Re: Listen to "Red River Valley" Cool!!!

Post by zercath »

Red River Valley
arranged and adapted by Arlo Guthrie

From this valley they say you are
We will miss your bright eyes and sweet smile
For they say you are taking the sunshine
That has brightened our pathways awhile

CHORUS:
Come and sit by my side, if you love me
Do not hasten to bid me adieu
Just remember the Red River Valley
And the cowboy who loved you so true

I've been thinking a long time, my darling
Of the sweet words you never would say
Now, alas, must my fond hopes all vanish
For they say you are gong away

Do you think of the valley you're leaving
O how lonely and how dreary it will be
And do you think of the kind hearts you're breaking
And the pain you are causing to me

CHORUS
They will bury me where you have wandered
Near the hills where the daffodils grow
When you're gone from the Red River Valley
For I can't live without you I know

CHORUS
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

...example of computer generated music using expression evaluator and a single math equation.
Wouldn't it make more sense to create MIDI instruments (or MIDI samples) with the expression evaluator, and then generate the actual song with MIDI?????

I haven't done much with the expression evaluator or MIDI, so maybe it's my ignorance, but it seems to me like you're doing this the "hard way"! :?
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

zercath wrote:Red River Valley
Thank you so much for posting lyrics for this song. I really appreciate your effort.
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

DougDbug wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to create MIDI instruments (or MIDI samples) with the expression evaluator, and then generate the actual song with MIDI?????

I haven't done much with the expression evaluator or MIDI, so maybe it's my ignorance, but it seems to me like you're doing this the "hard way"! :?
Understand a song usually consists of two parts: background music and vocals. Background music can be easily generated in MIDI format but you can't add vocals in a MIDI.

First of all, expression evaluator can not produce a MIDI since GoldWave does NOT support MIDI.
Secondly, it is much easier to generate a MIDI using a midi software. But that's just half of the story. In order to add vocals, you need to use GoldWave. Now you face the problem of mixing a midi file with a wave file. You can (1)convert a midi to wave using a converter before mix them together, I am not sure how much distortion will incur
(2)record them by sing along with midi: background noise/tape noise will be introduced
(3)do it the hard way, as you said, by generating background music in wave format, thus avoiding the mixing problem

GoldWave is a song editing, not song writing software. As such, I'm pushing the envelop of its capability. What you really need is a song writing software such as Sibelius or Finale songwriter. But then you need to spend more money.
cdeamaze

Geocities is closing my website!

Post by cdeamaze »

cdeamaze wrote: FYI, the song is implemented at the following site using Java Technology:
http://www.geocities.com/cdeamaze/RedRiverValley.html
Three year after I posted my website, I hate to tell you that Geocities is closing my website effective today. My host is not just closing my sites, it is closing all its FREE websites.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

cdeamaze,

First, I'm not trying to shoot-down what you are doing... It is amazing. I just think there are eaiser ways. It seems like you should be able get a melody into a MIDI file or down on paper in less than an hour, and I have a feeling that you're spending many-many hours on this. And, you should be able to quickly and easily edit or modify your work.

I'm sorry they are shutting down your website. :(
Understand a song usually consists of two parts: background music and vocals. Background music can be easily generated in MIDI format but you can't add vocals in a MIDI.
But, we aren't talking about vocals... We're talking about the music you made with the expression evaluator.
First of all, expression evaluator can not produce a MIDI since GoldWave does NOT support MIDI. Secondly, it is much easier to generate a MIDI using a midi software.
I know. But, I think you can generate a little WAV sample with the expression evaluator, and import that into your MIDI software. Then you can manipulate the pitch and timing (and ADSR) to generate the notes with MIDI. If you want to create a new song with the same sound, you can simply change the sequence & timing of the notes.
But that's just half of the story. In order to add vocals, you need to use GoldWave. Now you face the problem of mixing a midi file with a wave file.
That's done everyday! Most modern pop music is produced with a mix of MIDI and recorded vocals/instruments. GoldWave is not the ideal tool for this. You really need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). A couple of the "big names" are Cakewalk and Pro Tools. Or, for amateur/home use, Reaper is popular and affordable. (I don't do this stuff myself, and I don't have DAW or MIDI software. But, but I've been fooling around with audio for many years, I read a lot, and I subscribe to Recording Magazine. ;) )
GoldWave is a song editing, not song writing software. As such, I'm pushing the envelop of its capability.
Right! I'd classify GoldWave as sound editing software.
What you really need is a song writing software such as Sibelius or Finale songwriter. But then you need to spend more money.
I'm not familar with those programs, but if you're going to compose music, yeah, you might need to spend some money. I'd think you'd typically need a keyboard and MIDI software. Of course, you could do it by hand, the way Mozart did it! :) You might be able to find some FREE software at SourceForge.net (free open source software) or NoNags.com (free sofware).

Good luck with this stuff, have fun, and sorry I'm being such a pest!
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

DougDbug wrote:cdeamaze,

First, I'm not trying to shoot-down what you are doing... It is amazing. I just think there are eaiser ways. It seems like you should be able get a melody into a MIDI file or down on paper in less than an hour, and I have a feeling that you're spending many-many hours on this. And, you should be able to quickly and easily edit or modify your work.

I'm sorry they are shutting down your website. :(

But, we aren't talking about vocals... We're talking about the music you made with the expression evaluator.

I know. But, I think you can generate a little WAV sample with the expression evaluator, and import that into your MIDI software. Then you can manipulate the pitch and timing (and ADSR) to generate the notes with MIDI. If you want to create a new song with the same sound, you can simply change the sequence & timing of the notes.

That's done everyday! Most modern pop music is produced with a mix of MIDI and recorded vocals/instruments. GoldWave is not the ideal tool for this. You really need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). A couple of the "big names" are Cakewalk and Pro Tools. Or, for amateur/home use, Reaper is popular and affordable. (I don't do this stuff myself, and I don't have DAW or MIDI software. But, but I've been fooling around with audio for many years, I read a lot, and I subscribe to Recording Magazine. ;) )
What you really need is a song writing software such as Sibelius or Finale songwriter. But then you need to spend more money.
I'm not familar with those programs, but if you're going to compose music, yeah, you might need to spend some money. I'd think you'd typically need a keyboard and MIDI software. Of course, you could do it by hand, the way Mozart did it! :) You might be able to find some FREE software at SourceForge.net (free open source software) or NoNags.com (free sofware).

Good luck with this stuff, have fun, and sorry I'm being such a pest!
Doug, don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed reading your post bcause of your insight, knowledge and experience. I think we agreed in most parts except I chose to use GoldWave exclusively for my first songwriting experience for the following reasons: I wantd to force myself to learn GoldWave as much as possible while, at the same time, use as little other software as possible. So I finally settled with GoldWave and another midi sofware as my tools. I was surprised at how easy it is to use a midi software to make music. You just type in each note in a song. You are right, your music is ready in less than an hour! GoldWave is a different story. It is a pain to derive a equation. It took me many-many hours, if not days, to get an equation right. However, once you get a hang of it, you can produce an equation very quickly too.

But you can't judge a software's value by its speed alone because each approach has its own merits and shortcomings. By doing the hard way, I learned a lot of music theory along the way. The time you spent is not wasted since the insight you gained by using different software is priceless.

The next time I use a songwrting software, whether it's Cakewalk, Reaper, Sibelius or Finale ,I'll feel ease at using them. Knowing how much trouble I went thru, I'll appreciate how these software make our life easier!
cdeamaze

Geocities site update

Post by cdeamaze »

I should thank Yahoo/Geocities for hosting my site for more than three years.
Last time I checked it is still up and running. But it's not going to be a problem for me even if it is closed. I'm in the process of converting it to another site. If enough people are interested, I'll consider reopen it again!
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

Good news. This site is up and running again!
Red River Valley
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

zercath wrote:Red River Valley

From this valley they say you are...
Thanks, zercath! Following your suggestion, the lyrics arranged and adapted by Arlo Guthrie has been used in this website.
Everyone, your suggestions will always be welcome.