slightly ot: my tutorial page - looking for file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DewDude420

slightly ot: my tutorial page - looking for file

Post by DewDude420 »

hey guys,

i've decided to get really serious about getting my tutorial site up and going...so much in fact I installed wordpress on my own server and bought a domain so I can have full hosting control over the site.

but i'm not on here to advertise it...i try not to do that unless i'm pointing to something covered over there (which, I swear, I'm going to start covering more forum subjects over there so we don't have to type as much up). no...the reason i'm here is I'm hoping maybe some of you have gone there in the past.

the first tutorial I wrote was about segments of looping audio and such. I don't know how many people got use out of it....anyway, on that page I had a zip file called edit-splice.zip - it contained original audio and a repaired section for before/after comparisons and so the user could try it.

last year when I first got my server, i moved that particular file over to it from the freebie hosting place and updated the links on the wordpress-blog. back during the summer when I was unemployed I had to give up my server. my host sent me backup DVD's of my server which I've since misplaced. I went back to the old host to try to retrieve this file only to find out they've gone completely off the face of the internet.

do any of you happen to have this file? it's not a huge hassle to have to recreate it...but I thought if I didn't have to, I'd save myself some time.

uhh...anyway...the only other thing I've got to say that'll remotely keep this on topic is I need ideas on what tutorials to write. I haven't begun to really dug through the forums to see which specific topics keep coming up...so i'd be grateful if you guys have suggestions. Chris, thanks in advance for letting me make another slightly ot post on here...I try not to make it a habit.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: slightly ot: my tutorial page - looking for file

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Sorry Jay. It doesn't look like I have a copy of that file here.

Chris
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

It's not a problem. I'm copying the wav over the wifi right now and will just cut it up and recreate it. I thought I had used the pre-cut wavs when I did the screenshots, but I found I hadn't.

Thanks for looking though.

*edit: I've made another file and uploaded it to the site, so there's no need to keep looking. Thanks folks.*
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Jay -

Sorry to say I don't have a copy of the file you are looking for.

On the other topic - We see such a variety of questions here that almost anything you decide to cover would probably be useful to someone.

In my opinion, noise reduction would be a good start. Normalizing volume - what it is and why it is important would be good.

And the first words anyone should read when getting advice are: Before you do anything else, MAKE A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL FILE. Then put the original away and work on the copy. That will benefit those who occasionally discover that they don't like the changes they have made and decide they would like to return to the original unaltered state.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Please post a link to your tutorial page when it's ready, DewDude!

(ps - Hi, gang....it's good to be back.)
Stiiv
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Don: it's ok, the original file wasn't important in the long run. all I had to do was get the part out of the original wave....redo the edit and upload it again. Gave me a chance to update the file to reflect the fact I'm no longer limited in server storage space.
noise reduction is something I'm going to write on...but it won't be a "tutorial", it'll be more an article. What it is...what it really is, how it works...how it actually works...why it's "unintelligent" and doesn't know what noise does...why it comes out sounding like a bad mp3 at times...what FFT is, what overlap is...I think I've got enough technical background with it to do something like that. I wrote the beginnings of an article and posted it here..I'll dig through archives and get that back (as a note...I pretty much lost EVERYTHING from the previous laptop....as well as everything from the laptop before that and the desktop before that...lots of nice notes and stuff lost, oh well).

My theory on normalizing is different than most people's. It's only really needed as a final step before saving the wav....other than that..with 24-bit float, it's not as necessary as it once was.

Stiiv: welcome back. the site is 99% done at http://musichack.org - I copied all the site content over from http://musichack.wordpress.com

I'm not done with the site yet...I've been trying to work out the design and making some modifications so the theme works better for a site and not a blog...but i'm not having much luck and it's slow going...soon as I have it all worked out I'll transfer it over and the site will be 100% ready. once it's done i'll start creating new content..i only have so many hours free in a day.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Jay - I do believe I read your earlier article on Noise Reduction. I am not smart enough to understand all the highly technical stuff, but I did get the general idea and it was interesting and helpful. Good job!

I agree with you on Normalizing. I make it a point to record at relatively low levels and then normalize after I denoise and apply any equalization and any compression or other processing.