No "Volume Device"

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GregGP

No "Volume Device"

Post by GregGP »

Hi

I'm restoring a crashed system, which isn't giving me any audio in/out. Goldwave shows nothing for a Volume Device.

I can't remember anymore... Should the Volume Device be supplied by sound card drivers?

The computer system (XP Home) says that the sound card is working fine. On its last fix at a store in town, I guess this current Microsoft Sound Card was installed and I didn't get a drivers disc with it.

Have you had a problem like this? How did you fix it?

Thanks
Tristan

Re: No "Volume Device"

Post by Tristan »

I don't think Microsoft makes computer sound cards. Find out what the actual brand of your sound card is, go to that company's website, then download and install the latest drivers for your card.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

Update.

The System Information wasn't referring to a sound card, only to an internal driver. (Modem sounds, internal sounds...)
My 'sound card' is built onto the motherboard. I downloaded the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Goldwave should have listed, in the Volume Device window, "CD Player", "Microphone", "Aux", "line-In", "Phone", "Mono Out", and "Wave Out Mix".
Instead, it lists "CD Volume", "Line Volume", "Mic Volume", "Stereo Mix".

After the motherboard's audio/sound drivers were loaded, I was still getting prompted by the System for PCI drivers, and I don't know the source of those. Whatever they are, and whatever their source, it seems these extra, mystery drivers are what is needed for Goldwave to be able to record and play properly.

Currently, the Troubleshooter says, "Recording Inputs for this device cannot be opened."
...Which should give me a keyword string that I can use in this forum; the search engine wouldn't work with "volume" and "device", saying the words were too common.

Onward and upward...
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that your audio problem is universal and not specific to Goldwave. If so, you might want to check in your BIOS to see whether your mobo audio chip has been disabled.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

Yes, for sure, the problem is with the system, not Goldwave. But I've seen the same problem once before, pertaining to sound cards built onto motherboards, and because of how it affects Goldwave so specifically, I was sure that GW users would be familiar with it and have fixes or work-arounds to share.

Thanks for the BIOS advice.
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

Update.
Checked the BIOS, and settings pertaining to sound/audio are set to 'Auto' rather than 'Disabled'.
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

Open Device Manager, under System devices, there is an item called audio controller. Make sure you have the driver for this audio controller(No yellow question mark)!
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

You're right, there's a yellow Question Mark next to the audio references. That brings up another problem, the modem keeps getting a "other computer won't answer! *snif* " message.
This part's for your entertainment only: I had to download a Mac version of Internet Explorer, so that I can download the Service Pack 3 on my main system, which might cure the modem problem, which would then allow me to let XP get online to look for missing drivers. Thundershowers shut me down tonight, but I think I'll give it a try now. With my dial-up account, this should only take about twelve hours...
Thanks again folks.
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

In order to use SP3, you also need at least one of SP1 or SP2(Microsoft Bureaucracy! I thought SP3 is self-contained, but it is NOT!). I downloaded SP3 only to find out I also need to download SP1 or SP2 before I can install SP3. So instead of 12 hours, you may find yourself spend 24 hours or longer, which is too much for a dial-up. You should try to go to a library or any hot spot if you have a laptop and take advantage of high speed Internet connection. Instead of 24 hours, you may just spend 2.4 hours( or 1.2 hour if you can find a friend to download SP1 while you download SP3). Library usually has a one hour limit for each Internet user. Check your local library. If you have a laptop, there is no time limit (but you are still subject to library hours). Good luck!
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

I did have SP2 installed already, and I got a friend to download the update for me, but thank you for mentioning that.

A new Sound Card arrived today, I'm hoping to install it this weekend, and if that fixes the Volume Device problem, then I've got my work-around.
Not really a 'fix' though. Somehow, my onboard 'sound card' was working before the computer crash. There must have been certain drivers that provided the Volume Device options that are since gone missing. I'll keep looking for information about that, and will post here anything I find.

Thanks