cannot get batch processing to work

GoldWave general discussions and community help
ehmdjii

cannot get batch processing to work

Post by ehmdjii »

hello,

i would like to use goldwave to convert a huge amount of files from one format to another.
there fore i put the commands in a textfile and then call goldwave like this:

Code: Select all

call "GoldWave.exe" -process@soundlist.txt -proclog:c:\temp\GoldWaveLog.txt
but the only thing that happens is that i quickly see the goldwave window opening up and then closing. also no logfile is created in c:\temp

the contents of soundlist.txt look like this:

-process:GoldWaveMP3ToAU c:\work\res\silent.mp3 -outfolder:c:\work\res\ 
-process:GoldWaveMP3ToAU c:\work\res\alchemist\al_bonusstartup_006_01.mp3 -outfolder:c:\work\res\alchemist\ 
-process:GoldWaveMP3ToAU c:\work\res\alchemist\al_bonusstartup_006_01_variation_1.mp3 -outfolder:c:\work\res\alchemist\ 
and many more lines like this.

unfortunately no file is converted, but when i call goldwave manually with one of these lines it works!

thanks for any help on this!
Last edited by ehmdjii on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ehmdjii

Re: cannot get batch processing to work

Post by ehmdjii »

anyone? :D
maybe i should have posted this to the support section instead?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Try specifying the full path name for the list file.

Chris
ehmdjii

Post by ehmdjii »

thanks for your reply!
do you mean specifying it like this:

call GoldWave.exe -process@c:\temp\soundlist.txt -proclog:"c:\GoldWaveLog.txt"
unfortunately that gives the same result. anyway if i would specify a wrong pathname, then goldwave gives an error message, that the file could not be found, no matter if it is specified as relative or absolute path.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Why is there a "call" before "GoldWave.exe"? A "call" is for executing one batch file within another, not for executing a program. That may prevent the command line parameters from getting passed to the program properly.

Chris
ehmdjii

Post by ehmdjii »

thanks for your reply!
when i remove that "call" before goldwave.exe, then goldwave isn't started at all.

for example like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GoldWave\GoldWave.exe" -process@c:\temp\soundlist.txt -proclog:"c:\GoldWaveLog.txt"
however, when i call it without the input file like this it still works

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GoldWave\GoldWave.exe" -process:GoldWaveMP3ToAU !filename! -outfolder:!directory! -proclog:"c:\GoldWaveLog.txt"

btw: im using win7 64bit and the process-file is generated with a windows batch file itself like this:

echo -process:GoldWaveMP3ToAU "!filename!" "-outfolder:!directory!" >>c:\temp\soundlist.txt
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

It seems to me that you chose to do a simple task in a hard way. Here is a short cut:
1. Create a folder called, say, batchin. Place all your files in batchin.
2. In your menu bar, under "File" menu, select "Batch Processing..." submenu. The default tab is already "Convert", just add the folder batchin. You may have to specify its path such as C:\Users\batchin.
3. Check the checkbox "Convert files to this format", pick the desired type and attributes.
4. In your "Folder" tab, specify your output folder if you want your outputs in a different folder. Let's use batchout in the same path. If it does not exists before, it will be automatically created.
5. Click "Begin". You are done. All your converted files will be in your batchout folder.
ehmdjii

Post by ehmdjii »

thanks for your help, but actually what i am trying to do is to integrate many goldwave tasks into a deployment system, that must run without any user interaction. so launching the goldwave gui manually is not an option for me.
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

You are right! Batch processing works if you use single command line without a batch file, it does NOT work when you use a batch file which includes single command line(Not to mention multiple command lines). The error message is No files found. I believe there is a bug somewhere. Chris probably has to answer this puzzle.
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

Sorry. I have a typo in my batch file. Actually, it works even with a batch file after I correct my typo.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

What scripting language are you using? Could it be something as simple as the @ symbol affecting the script? Have you tried using quotes around all parameters?

... "-process@c:\temp\soundlist.txt" ...
Chris
ehmdjii

Post by ehmdjii »

hello and thanks for your reply.

i use a normal windows-batch file. i.e. all the code i posted is in a file call convert.bat

and yes i have tried to use quotes (singles and doubles) on every possible combination of commands, but it doesnt make a difference.
as i said only, when i specify a non-existing file, then Goldwave gives an error message.
but if i specify a valid file, goldwave just seems to ignore its contents and quits silently after.
cdeamaze

Post by cdeamaze »

Hello ehmdjii, as I stated before, I also used a batch file (run without any user interaction) and it works flawlessly.

There are 2 kinds of batch processing:partially automatic(run with some user interaction) and fully automatic(run without any user interaction). The former requires user interface and involves point and click as outlined in my 5-step short cut above. The latter involves setting up a batch file including commands(DOS command prompt level). Since at command prompt, correct spelling of commands becomes very important, it is very easy to have a typo and ruin your batch job. However, if you do it right, you can submit your job overnight or go out for a date or nice dinner. Your GoldWave editing job will be done by the time you wake up or come back. Isn't that a nice feature?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If it's just a standard Windows batch file, then you definitely don't need to use "call" before the program name. Just be sure to specify the full path in quotes ("C:\Program Files\GoldWave\GoldWave.exe").

Also try putting "echo" at the beginning of the line to see what's actually getting generated.

Chris
ehmdjii

Post by ehmdjii »

thanks for your answers.
unfortunately using or not using "call" or "echo" in front of the command doesnt make any difference! all the commands seem correct, i am on this problem now for over 3 weeks and i have tried every possible combination of commands, quotes, paths, etc and double- and triple-checked everything for typos etc.

to me it seems that goldwave has a problem with reading the contents of the textfile that is holding all the lines with the commands.

edit: i have also just tested the newly released 5.57, but still i cant get goldwave to execute the tasks specified in a textfile.