recording computer clock with audio signal?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
FS2020

recording computer clock with audio signal?

Post by FS2020 »

Is there a way to record the computer clock with the audio signal?

I have an application in which I need to sync the audio recording with another signal from another device. The other device records the computer clock with it's signal. I just need to get Goldwave to record the computer clock so I can sync the two signals.

Thanks!
Frank
DougDbug

Re: recording computer clock with audio signal?

Post by DougDbug »

I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. If you have a "talking clock" application you can record that, but if there is another sound coming through at the same time the sounds will be mixed together.

Or, you can have two instances of GoldWave running at once, so maybe you can record a talking clock with one instance and your other audio with the other.

Or, maybe use a video camera that can stamp the date & time on the video image while recording audio & video.
FS2020

Post by FS2020 »

The computer has it's own internal electronic clock. That's the clock I need recorded with the audio signal.

I.e., the output file would have the computer clock time in one column and the sound level in another column.
thetalk

Post by thetalk »

That sounds like you need some sort of data acquisition software, like Logger Pro or something.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

"Another device" is ambiguous. Do you mean another audio device or sound card running on the same computer, or another device which makes its own recording, such as an external recorder?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I know what he's trying to do. He wants a copy of the clock signal from one computer so he can try to sync it up with a file recorded on another computer, which has a different clock and different sync.

This isn't going to work.

You can't do this in post-production. If you want to sync recordings using a "master clock"; you need not only a master clock source (the PC will not function as one), but the hardware that supports the master clock data. This is used while the audio is being encoded to PCM.

Your PC does not have a way of outputting the clock signal to a file; it just doesn't. It's all internal "behind-the-scenes" stuff. Your hardware handles all this; the software doesn't see any of it.

Basically, you can't do what you describe. It doesn't work that way. Sorry.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

zuqiu321 wrote:The computer has it's own internal electronic clock. That's the clock I need recorded with the audio signal.
I realize that; but there's no way to extract this signal in a usable form.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

I have done what you want to do by recording one of the radio time & frequency standards such as WWV on 15 Mhz on the right channel, using a communications receiver, and the audio signal to be checked recorded on the left. You must also have your PC clock linked to (time-a.nist.gov). Do this by clicking on the little clock symbol in the bottom corner of the PC screen and selecting "change date and time" and then internet time. Now your PC clock will always be correct. WWV announces the time every minute and also transmits 1 second ticks.
JackA

Post by JackA »

2leftfeet wrote:I have done what you want to do by recording one of the radio time & frequency standards such as WWV on 15 Mhz on the right channel, using a communications receiver, and the audio signal to be checked recorded on the left. You must also have your PC clock linked to (time-a.nist.gov). Do this by clicking on the little clock symbol in the bottom corner of the PC screen and selecting "change date and time" and then internet time. Now your PC clock will always be correct. WWV announces the time every minute and also transmits 1 second ticks.
WWV! Used to listen to that on shortwave! Later, I find it's posted on multiple frequencies. I hear some communication protocol, similar of that of internet (phone) dial-up, during the transmission. No reply needed.