VideoMeld 1.53 - Cannot open audio in file

VideoMeld discussions and community help
vmuser

VideoMeld 1.53 - Cannot open audio in file

Post by vmuser »

VideoMeld 1.53, Windows 7 (SP1) 64-bit ENG.

I tried importing a sample video that's included with Windows 7 (C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv) and received an error:
Cannot open audio in file:
C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv

Try using "Options | Configure VideoMeld" to download "FFmpeg" decoders.
So I follow the instructions and successfully download the decoders. I close and restart the application and again try to re-import that video but I receive that same error message saying that it cannot open the audio and to download the decoders. So I navigate to %ProgramData%\VideoMeld to ensure the decoders are there--they are. Thinking one of them might have been corrupted, I removed the folder with all the decoders and again re-downloaded them all but I still continue to receive the error. I had a copy of VideoMeld 1.52 and tried the same procedure with that version and the video and audio loads just fine.

Has anyone else had these issues with the latest (1.53) build?
OctaneUS

Re: VideoMeld 1.53 - Cannot open audio in file

Post by OctaneUS »

I have a similar problem & also posted about it.
(It won't let me insert a link, but it's the top forum post by "OctaneUS")

It sounds like there are decoders missing (for audio attached to video tracks) from V1.53.

Iave tried your stated method for downloading decoders for FFmpeg/Libdav folder and after they show they have downloaded, restart VideoMeld bu the problem persists.

Is there another way to download Decoders separately?

This summer Evaluation version worked great, I believe V1.52 or V1.51.

I still have not got the audio to work, have you had any luck?
vmuser

Post by vmuser »

@OctaneUS,

No, I haven't been able to resolve my issue with opening the audio in the file I was testing it out on (C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv) and I have not heard an official response from GoldWave Inc. so I've resorted to using a previous build, VideoMeld 1.52 which seems to have no issues. I don't know of any other way to download the decoders manually other than possibly a packet sniffer to see the locations of where decoders are being downloaded from while using VideoMeld.

Sorry to hear you're in the same situation I am. Hopefully this same issue will be officially recognized by GoldWave Inc. and addressed in a newer build.
OctaneUS

Post by OctaneUS »

@vmuser,

Appreciate the response. Do you know of any way to download a previous version?
(I used an Evaluation version of 1.52 or 1.51 about August/September of 2015 and it worked great)

In fact I downloaded an Evaluation Version a couple days ago (current build V1.53) on a different computer and was able to make it work. It gave me an error roughly saying the raw video footage was moved or missing, or that the decoders were missing, BUT I had the option locate the folder containing the footage. I selected "Yes" and located the folder and audio loaded like it should. If I answered the locate folder question with a "No" it gave an identical error and no audio was loaded.

Sounds like a small line of code is off in the program after entering the license number and possibly defaulting to an older error message, that does not present the option to locate the raw footage...
(I don't think it's actually a decoder issue right now, but an in-ability to locate raw footage & not allowing me to manually locate it.)
---
Goldwave may be out of their office right now, the contact page of the website shows that support will be unavailable until Feb 9th, 2016.
vmuser

Post by vmuser »

You should be able to obtain VideoMeld 1.52 from the following:

http://goldwave.com/downloads/InstallVideoMeld152.exe

Hopefully this helps you out.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Wildelife.wmv file appears to be loading fine on my system in v1.53 in Windows 10. FFmpeg is not required. The decoders are already included with Windows. I'll need to do more testing to see if there may be an issue in v1.53 on Windows 7.
OctaneUS

Post by OctaneUS »

vmuser wrote:You should be able to obtain VideoMeld 1.52 from the following:

http://goldwave.com/downloads/InstallVideoMeld152.exe

Hopefully this helps you out.
Much appreciated!
I tried V.1.52 and still have the same error message and in-ability to locate raw video footage.
Resulting in Audio still not loading. :(

Any luck on your end, vmuser?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There appears to be a problem when dragging-and-dropping a video into VideoMeld. Use Track | Add Video instead. Drag-and-drop will be fixed in the next update.
vmuser

Post by vmuser »

@OctaneUS, no luck here in getting audio to load using VideoMeld 1.53 (though 1.52 works for me)
GoldWave Inc. wrote:There appears to be a problem when dragging-and-dropping a video into VideoMeld. Use Track | Add Video instead. Drag-and-drop will be fixed in the next update.
@GoldWaveInc, I'm not able to drag-and-drop anything into Video Meld but didn't realize that was an issue. I have tried using both Track | Add Video as well as using the Video button on the main interface for the video, "C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv". While the video loads perfectly fine, the audio is never loaded along with it.

I'm using Windows 7 + SP1 (64-bit) en_US and Video Meld 1.53. I'm not running any security and/or anti-virus software which could interfere with the Video Meld process.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A few changes have been made for the next update coming soon. Hopefully that will solve the problem on your computer.
paulus33

Post by paulus33 »

Hi

Was a solution found to this issue?

I seem to have the same issue with version 1.55. When loading a .mov video I get an error saying it could not open the audit file. I tried downloading the ffmpeg files, but that did not fix it.

A couple of points to note:
1) I also installed v1.28 and this works fine with the same video file.
2) If I use a .mov file from a different camera (sports cam), then the audio loads fine with the file

I could not see any obvious differences between the audio on the files. They just have slightly different bitrates and sample rates.

I am using a Windows 7 PC.

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Paulus
vmuser

Post by vmuser »

The issue I was having with the audio being unable to open from an imported video file was fixed in 1.54 and continues to work in 1.55.

@Paulus33, you should try downgrading from 1.55 backward to 1.54, 1.53, etc. and seeing what was the last build to correctly work before you started having issues with the audio not loading to narrow down what changes that might have been made for a certain build that have had an adverse effect on loading the audio.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The problem is that Windows 7 does not fully support MOV files. The older version of VideoMeld was able to use the 32 bit QuickTime decoders to open the MOV file. The 64 bit version of VideoMeld cannot use those.

Windows 10 has better support for MOV files. VideoMeld should be able to open the audio on that version of Windows.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Hello,

I used to edit videos on my brothers PC, but when he switched from some Adobe software version to another Adobe software I just didn't understand (and made the old files incompatible with the new), I quit editing. He wants to get rid of many files that are made by me, so, I decided to try Videomeld, as I already knew about that program from downloading Goldwave.

So I downloaded VideoMeld 1.56 from this website.
Unfortunately, I experience the same error mentioned in this topic besides an extra one: I refrain from being 'up front' with new software most of the time to avoid messy bugs, but with DirectX I seem to be to advanced: I get the message 'No accelerated DirectX 10.1 display driver found. Using slower GDI+ display driver.' when opening VideoMeld.

As I'm using a PC not really designed for heavy graphic operations, this could very well be down to my PC, but as DirectX 11 is installed, I first thought this was down to a version of DirectX being to old.

I also followed the same steps mentioned in this topic (and by VideoMeld itself) to download the required decoders, but to no avail. I even tried to get FFMpeg manually on my PC, but that didn't work as well.

What strikes me is that VideoMeld itself seems to be unable to 'see' or 'understand' the required files. The files are there when I just open the specified folder via Windows, but VideoMeld says 'No search-results' when I browse to the required folder manually in the dialog-window 'Configure VideoMeld' under 'Options'.

I decided that I would mess around with some files (i'm not such a whizzkid), as the dialog-window seems to look for a folder-structure that isn't there. When choosing 'Browse' from the dialog 'Configure VideoMeld', it states something like 'FFmpeg/libav Folder' in the title-bar from the dialog that pops-up.
So I just made those folders myself and copied every file in the ProgramData/VideoMeld/Decoders folder to ProgramData/Videomeld/FFMpeg/Libav where the bold stated folders were made by me.
Again, to no avail.

I than asked my brother to download the same evaluation copy I downloaded, to see if this was a PC-issue or not. Unfortunately, he encounters the same error, also after downloading the files from the 'download' button in the dialog 'Configure VideoMeld'.

He thought it was a file-number issue, as older versions of avcodec-xx.dll are present on his PC, stating a different number behind avcodec (or even none). As avcodec-56.dll is in the VideoMeld/Decoders folder and the file-path window for FFMpeg states 'FFmpeg folder for avcodec.dll' he tried to rename the file to avcodec.dll, but to no luck: the error than changes to 'Can't find avcodec-56.dll on the system'.

He tried multiple files, but the result is the same everytime: the codec can't be found and thus audio can't be loaded with the video. He also download FFMpeg seperately from FFMpeg.org, with no luck as well.

I'm running:
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (6.1, Build 7601)
on a Dell OptiPlex 990
with Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3,1 GHz (4-CPU's)
Memory: 16 GB
DirectX-version: DirectX 11

Audio device:
Loudspeakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Hardware ID: HDaudio/FUNC_01&VEN-10EC&DEV_0269&SUBS (I'm sorry, the rest can't be seen)
Product-ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Standard-device: yes

Driver:
Name: HdAudio.sys
Version: 6.01.7601.17514
Date: 21-11-2010
Signed: yes
Supplier: Microsoft

The file I try to import has audio on a constant bitrate of 1,5 MBps, 48 kHz samping rate and 16-bits wide.

The only thing that DOES work, is when my brother loads a video-file without sound: the file can be processed (meld) to something new and this works fine.

Any help would be gladly appreciated, as Videomeld is definitely my first 'weapon of choice' when it comes to dealing with all my old video files.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Windows 10 is required if the video is a MOV or contains MPEG-2 or AC3 audio. The video error message seems to indicate a problem with your video driver. Make sure you have the latest driver from the video card manufacturer (do not rely on Windows Update to install the latest sound or video drivers).