VideoMeld issues & feedback

VideoMeld discussions and community help
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: VideoMeld issues & feedback

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Hopefully VideoMeld v1.50 (64 bit) finally solves this problem.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Hi Chris,

It's been over a year since I last posted, but I've continued to use VideoMeld in the meantime. The 64-bit version was a very big step forward, but the memory leaks remained. In the rapid cycle of having to put together videos on a weekly basis, I simply gritted my teeth and learned to work with disabled video, only enabling it at the last moment for the final output.

Today I saw information about v1.56 and some mention about improved memory usage, so I downloaded it - and I was overjoyed to find that the memory leaks are now completely gone. This is fantastic! All the issues that emerged in the transition from Multiquence to VideoMeld are now at last history, and the functionality continues to improve with every version!

One question, though. Does VideoMeld do anything with disabled sections when saving the output video? I get the impression that in recent versions, the speed of processing has decreased for projects where I switch between two video tracks. Usually, I cut these tracks into sections, so that the section which is not being used is disabled - but I get the impression that the saving process is faster if I subsequently delete the disabled section prior to saving. Is that possible, or am I imagining things?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Disabled sections still require some processing internally (more for previewing than for melding), so deleting them would improve processing. I'll look into optimizing that more.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Another small request - currently, if I'm moving the edit marker, I'm given the possibility of snapping it to the start or end of a section. Would it be possible to have the reverse of this functionality, i.e. when you drag a section around, have the possibility of snapping the start or end of it to the edit marker?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Enhanced and expanded snapping is planned for a future version.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Great, looking forward to that!

Meanwhile, I've got a small issue to report that should hopefully be easy to confirm and fix, and which occasionally causes significant irritation. When you've got two points very close to each other on the fade graph, VideoMeld seems to have difficulty keeping them separate. Specifically: if you save, and then close and reload the project, you will find that the two points have been merged, with only the latter one remaining.

Steps to reproduce: put two points on the fade graph, one at 100%, and the second at 0%, and put them extremely close to each other - within milliseconds, the closer the better. Save the project. Quit. Restart Videomeld and load project. You will now see that the first of two points has disappeared, and only the second one is being applied.

A consequence of this behaviour is that instead of having a sharp fade, you end up with a very, very long fade, from wherever a previous point had been in the graph. Very annoying to discover this happened after you spent an hour waiting for a video to render.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Hi!

I've been struggling all day trying to build a video using an MTS file as the source. It seems that there are massive audio sync problems - even if I literally just use the audio and video from the MTS, and meld it to a file with the same framerate, the voice still ends up out of sync.

Before, I used to always convert the MTS to MP4 before putting it into VideoMeld, and that worked normally without sync problems. That still works, but it would save a time-consuming middle step if I didn't have to actually do that.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The MTS file may be using variable bitrate encoding and many not have any metadata for accurate seeking. Such files are not suitable for editing in VideoMeld because there is no way the program can accurately seek to key positions in the file.

One thing you could try is to click on the section settings icon for the Audio section and choose the "Decode Audio To Wave File" button. That will eliminate seeking issues with the audio track, but the video track may still be a problem.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Ok, thanks for the info! Using a separate wav file didn't help, so in the end I just resorted to the usual process of first converting the file to an MP4.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Also... is there currently an option of linking together two or more segments? When you import a video, its video and audio tracks are linked together. You can unlink them, but I haven't seen any option of linking them (or other segments) together again. If this functionality doesn't currently exists, I think it would be quite handy sometimes.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can select the sections you want linked and use "Edit | Link Sections".
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

Another little bit of feedback - for one of my projects, I had to severely chop up a 40-minute MPG video with audio. When I say severely, I mean that there are now about 50-100 instances of this file in the project. Normally, when I do this kind of thing, I save the audio first as a WAV file so that I don't have to deal with all the decompression, but this time I neglected to do so. As a consequence, the project now takes about an hour to fully load, because VideoMeld seems to be decompressing each instance of the audio separately.

It's not a particularly big deal, because you can (and undoubtedly should) just use a decompressed WAV file whenever possible, but I still wonder if something can be done to improve performance when dealing with multiple instances of the same compressed audio file.
JakubM

Post by JakubM »

...And yet one more feature request. Every once in a while, I find myself editing a video that has already been edited together from multiple cameras and segments. In such situations, I often have to split the video at a point when it goes from one segment to another. You can imagine that this is very, very finicky - I have to zoom right in to the highest magnification, and then adjust the market back and forth until I get the right spot. Sometimes, this is near impossible. And getting it wrong usually means that for an instant at the start of the next segment, you'll have a flash of whatever was in the previous segment.

Would it be possible to indicate video keyframes in the timeline, and even have an option where the edit marker snaps to keyframes? For example, when you right-click a video and you get the contextual options menu, there is currently a "move marker here" option, so you could also add an option to "move marker to nearest keyframe".

By the way, I do hope that sales from VideoMeld have been good enough to justify all the time you put into its development. I would imagine that the video editing market would be much harder to crack than audio editing (where GoldWave has a long history and well-established reputation), but VideoMeld definitely deserves to be successful for all the features it provides at a remarkably low price.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Sounds like a good idea. I'll see if that is possible.

In the latest version of VideoMeld the preview updates when you move the mouse over the time line. You can also set it (Options | Configure VideoMeld) so that the preview updates when the mouse moves over a section. That makes it easier to find specific frames without having the drag the edit marker everywhere.

VideoMeld sales have been on the lower end of expectations, but development will continue for many years to come. There are lots of new features and improvements to be added.
Rendszerga

Post by Rendszerga »

Hello!

I would like to draw attention to a mistake!

During playback, if you go to the window and switch from program to other program (ie avoid focus), the playback window will not be displayed or redisplayed when you switch back to the video track. Playback must be resumed and the video window will only be re-displayed.

Missing function.

1. Moving from frame to frame. Forward and backward, it would be a great need for setting the exact position.

2. Accelerated playback and slow playback during playback, also due to the exact position of the position.

3. I miss the effects of the selected part in slow motion, and accelerated playback, and timelapse function.

Thanks to RendszergazdaNyh...

(Why can not possible register more than 10 characters for a username ??? LOL)