New to this.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
ragv

New to this.

Post by ragv »

I really like the expression evaluator but I don't remember much about trigonometry. I want to create my own sound effects and I have no idea where to start or even what to search on google. If anyone knows any good tutorials please share. I have tried some software synthesizers, I think these are a waste of time.
DougDbug

Re: New to this.

Post by DougDbug »

I've only used the presets...
I want to create my own sound effects and I have no idea where to start or even what to search on google.
Although some people have written songs with the Expression Evaluator, you may need more than a single expression... You may need an algorithm or multiple algorithms (in a program).
I really like the expression evaluator but I don't remember much about trigonometry.
It's always easier to learn the 2nd time... ;) It's probably more important to get a feel for what different frequencies sound like, what sine, square, and triangle waves sound like, what white noise and pink noise sounds like, etc. A mathematician could write the expression but he might no know what it's going to sound like...

Do you understand high-pass & low-pass filters? It would also be helpful to understand the concept of FFT... You can find FFT libraries so you don't have to understand all of the math to use it, but you would have to do some programming.