Unable to record

GoldWave general discussions and community help
poetofga

Unable to record

Post by poetofga »

I have just purchased hp compaq elite 8300 small form factor, Windows 10 pro, 8 gig of ram. On the back I have a mic and speaker in the front I have headphone and mic headphone. I am able to record using the internal speaker. Under the Core Audio/Wasapi: playback: High Def device 056, Record: Loopback High Def Audio Device 0536. I go to Device playback and select the internal speaker option, no sound will come out of the USB speakers now. I can barely hear the sound through internal speaker but it does record. I complete my recording, I switch back to the USB speakers, the sound will not playback under GW playback. I save the file as .mp3 and open it with Windows Media Player and now I can hear through the USB speakers. I am not able to record using the USB speakers, I have tried the Loopback Cable in the rear and front. Record testing USB speakers no signal detected on both channels. Under the internal speaker I get Audio level may be too low. Audio should peak at 75%, but it does work. I have even tried the DirectSound API, nothing there. So, I will just keep switching back and forth on speakers until some better option comes up. I am thinking about purchasing a sound card. If anyone has any thoughts on this situation, please share. Thanks.
poetofga

Re: Unable to record

Post by poetofga »

Quick update: Currently, I'm not able to find a soundcard for this. Even better. I am playing the sound in goldwave through internal speaker, and at the same time listen to youtube through USB speakers. I can see this is a strange situation and HP has a terrible sound setup for this 8300 small form factor.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure everything is using the USB speaker (GoldWave and Windows). You'll need have the USB speaker selected for playback and recording (as LOOPBACK) in GoldWave. Windows also needs to be using the USB speaker as the default playback device.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Man, that "paragraph" is hard to read!

I guess you're trying to record streaming audio?

You'll have to select the device that's actually playing the audio as your recording device... Your internal speakers/"soundcard" or your USB speakers, etc... You can't listen to your USB speakers and record the "loopback" from your internal soundcard.

Then select Loopback, What-U-Hear, or Stereo Mix. This all depends on your drivers. Hopefully, your drivers support one or more of those options. With What-U-Hear and Stereo Mix, the recording level is determined by the playback level so you'll have to turn-up the Windows volume (but you can turn-down the analog knob on the speakers).

A loopback cable needs a stereo line-input to work properly. Apparently, you have only a mic input... That will "work" but you'll probably overload the mic input and get poor quality, and the mic input is usually mono. Of course, sound has to be coming out of the analog speaker/headphone connection, and you have to select the mic/line input for recording.
I am playing the sound in goldwave through internal speaker, and at the same time listen to youtube through USB speakers.
You can select the GoldWave playback device via GoldWave's control properties. You select the default Windows playback with via the Windows control panel.
Currently, I'm not able to find a soundcard for this.
Since your computer has analog connections there is a soundchip built into the motherboard. There probably isn't a PCI slot for an actual soundcard. You can get a "USB soundcard" or a higher-end USB audio interface. A USB audio interface with line-inputs cold be used with a loopback cable, but if you want to listen to what you're recording you'd have to listen through that device, not your USB speakers.

If all else fails you can try Total Recorder ($18 USD) comes with it's own drivers and is supposed to be foolproof. (You can still edit in GoldWave after recording if you wish.) Or depending on what you're trying to download/capture there are applications & services such as ClipGrab or KeepVid for "stealing" audio/video from YouTube or other websites.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

You might also have to clear all your cookies, turn off all programs, turn off you computer and then restart.
poetofga

Unable to Record

Post by poetofga »

@ DougDbug: Sorry for the paragraph being a bit confusing, it only illustrates my situation. Thanks for the response. I understand what your stating and I actually just now ran a loopback cable from my rear mic to the front mic, still under the eternal speaker, but it was a bit louder. I'm at the point after several various attempts with settings, plug/unplug and getting nowhere, I appreciate the USB audiocard, I can pick one up at Walmart $5.85 or something and then I should be able to hear through USB speakers while my internal records the stream. You are correct about recording from streaming. I also want to use Goldwave to record from FruityLoops, but right now I'm just really getting to know what I am working with and what I have available. Thanks again and I'll post again on the results.
poetofga

Post by poetofga »

@ GoldWave Inc. Thanks for the response, I have went through the USB options for both playback and record, no success.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I recently went through something similar -- after working perfectly the day before, I suddenly found that I was not able to record. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Steinberg drivers. That didn't fix the problem. I persevered, brave soul that I am. I checked everything I could in terms of Windows and everything I could in Goldwave. Everything seemed to be telling me that all was in order. But I knew that not to be true.

Long story short: Despite everything showing that each recognized the other, something is fouled up and appears to be impossible for a mere mortal like me to correct. For about the last year or so, I have been using a Yamaha MG10XU mixer that is also the otherwise, very good mic preamp, mixer, USB digital/analog interface . After a lot of screwing around, I took it out of the system... and reinstalled my older Yamaha mixer and Presonus Audiobox USB external USB digital/analog interface. That solved my problem.

Now to make things even more odd... The Yamaha USB mixer connected to the computer in my other system works just fine with Goldwave.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

To update my note of a few days ago:

Now today my system will not record into Goldwave. Windows tells me that my record and playback device is working and being recognized. Goldwave recognizes my Presonus Audiobox USB interface.

If I play some music via my playback program on my computer, it will record on Goldwave.
If I watch a video on You Tube, Goldwave with record the audio.

But when I try my mic, it will not record in Goldwave. I hit the record button and I get a message that it can not start.

When I try to use my mic, my Audiobox must be adjusted to route through mic circuit, which seems to be not compatible with Windows for some reason. The Presonus Audiobox worked just fine yesterday. It will not record mic input today. I can hear through my headphones that the audio is in the circuitry of the Audiobox. I can listen to music on my computer through the Audiobox, that tells me the USB connection is working effectively.

This is very much the same thing I experienced with my Yamaha USB mixer. When the failures appeared, in each case, I
updated the appropriate drivers. I've been using my recording systems for some years now, so I don't think I suddenly forgot or am now doing something improperly.

I am convinced that this is not a Goldwave problem, but rather a Windows problem.

I post this for those who may run into problems they might attribute to recording programs but may be rooted in the computer itself.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

In Windows settings, click on "Privacy", then select "Microphone" and make sure that it is "On". If you have the Windows Store version of GoldWave, also check that it is "On" for GoldWave as well.

Make sure that you are using the "Core Audio" mode in GoldWave (press F11 key, System tab) and that the correct Microphone device is selected.

If that still doesn't help, try going to the Windows Recording Devices settings (right-click the speaker icon near the time in the Windows task bar and choose "Recording devices") to make sure that the Microphone devices are enabled.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Chris...
Thank you very much for caring and offering me the reasonable and appropriate suggestions.
I have done those things over and over again, checking and double checking and wondering what I've missed. I've been through every menu I can find looking for anything that might be the problem.

This note was somewhat longer, but I am editing it to report that after a lot of time and effort and frustration, I'm now back in business...

I wish I could tell you what I did to fix the problem--but I'm not sure I fixed it. Some sneaky and malicious computer demon must have finally got tired of beating me up and went back to what ever place of fire and torment it calls home.

I believe that I did prove that Einstein was not correct when he stated that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different different results was the best example of insanity. I don't deny that I might be crazy, but my computer is now recording properly.

I now invite everyone to have a cookie and a glass of chocolate milk to celebrate with me.