Noise gate issues

GoldWave general discussions and community help
odd_spec

Noise gate issues

Post by odd_spec »

I'm having trouble with the noise gate. I'm trying to use it on a long file (40 mins). It's a voice recording with some low level background noise, and I want to use it to mute the silences. It seems to work great for 90% of the file, but there are a few random moments when it seems to silence sections of voice which are definitely above the threshold. I can't work out why it's doing this. Any suggestions?
DougDbug

Re: Noise gate issues

Post by DougDbug »

Have you tried a shorter release time?

Have you tried a lower threshold? You may have to do it in sections using different thresholds in different parts of the recording.

Have you tried "regular" Noise Reduction? (It may work better or it may result in undesirable artifacts.)
odd_spec

Post by odd_spec »

Thank you, I will certainly try these. I think regular noise reduction does leave it a little tinny.

Could someone briefly explain to me what the release time actually does? It would help me to understand!
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Release time is a common-enough concept. Why don't you just look it up? You're the one using the gate.
I don't want to read the manual either, but it isn't my problem, is it?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Noise Gate also has an "Ignore" setting to silence brief sounds that exceed the threshold. Make sure that setting is zero.