Hi, I was wondering if....

GoldWave general discussions and community help

Hi, I was wondering if....

Post by 192 »

It's possible to record a conversation that's being had in Skype? Or any other free communication program?
My friend and I need to record a demo for a radio station, and we were wondering if we would be able to record it using this program.
Any help would be greatly appreciated^^
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Yes, you can record from Skype (or anything that comes out of your comuters speakers for that matter). What you would need to do would to be: Press F11 to access the Control Properties, then click on the volume tab. Under the volume properties should be a tab called "stereo mix" (or maybe also called "What You Hear"). Check that box.

Press record on GoldWave, then start the Skype conversation. If you are unsure of the length of the file, set the recording (right click on the red record button) to unbounded. Hope that helps somewhat, let me know.

Sarge

Post by 192 »

Um, the way we were using it, it doesn't seem to work correctly. It only seemed able to record ONE of us speaking at a time. Is there anyway to record both of us? Or a way to check both the input and the output boxes? (Stereo+Mic?)
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

No, there isnt a way to select 2 of the check boxes. Using the stereo mix should allow all parties to be recorded.

What do you mean exactly when it only allows you to record ONE person at a time though. It records it like a 2 way radio? Or does it leave out one of the persons voice completlely? If you can answer that (if you understand what I'm trying to explain here) maybe I could help further.

Well evidently it isnt a mic problem cause the other party can hear you, just probably a setting that were just overlooking somewhere.

But from this standpoint, I'm at a loss. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows (unless you can maybe explain the ONE person at a time a little further).

Sarge
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

As record source, in the Record table, select "What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix".
In the Playback table, set the volume for the mic and for the other source, none being checked "mute" of the both sources.
See on this link if something helps.
Gloup? :-°
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

192:

You said, "It only seemed able to record ONE of us speaking at a time."

Is your soundcard full duplex, and is it set to work at full duplex?

With the first wireless telephones or two-way radios only one person could talk at the same time, and one had to depress the "talk" switch to talk. When the "talk" switch was depressed you couldn't hear anything.

PN
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Having trouble with double posts these days.

PN
Last edited by piano nick on Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

when i recorded in skype, i could hear the other party fine and myself in the headphones. When i went back to the file, their sound was so low, i couldnt even tell they were talking..
So, what did i miss?
I simply opened a "new" window and then placed the call and hit record..i could see the bar moving, but not enough to really capture their sound.

On top of that, my mic recording has been really low..it used to be fine, but now i have to artificially boost it after each recording...any help?
the skype is of utmost importance!!

thx
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The problem with recording Skype calls is that Skype uses your sound card to record your voice, usually through the microphone input. If you alter the sound card inputs in GoldWave to record the incoming audio, then Skype won't work properly because it won't be able to record the microphone (outgoing) audio anymore. Most sound cards do not let you select more than one input at a time and even if you could, you'd end up with a feedback echo in Skype.

You'd need to use two separate sound cards to record both the incoming and outgoing audio or use a special Skype plug-in that captures and mixes both signals.

Chris
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

is there a skype plug in that will record both?
im sure there's a cost to it.

unless there's another freeware product that will do this...

thx so much!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I do not know of any free software, but HotRecorder should work.

Chris
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

Hot recorder is a GW plug-in?
Can u tell me how to install it in GW? i had it, but it was separate ..
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

HotRecorder is a separate program and is not related to GoldWave.

Chris
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

ok, thx
mhd

Post by mhd »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:The problem with recording Skype calls is that Skype uses your sound card to record your voice, usually through the microphone input. If you alter the sound card inputs in GoldWave to record the incoming audio, then Skype won't work properly because it won't be able to record the microphone (outgoing) audio anymore. Most sound cards do not let you select more than one input at a time and even if you could, you'd end up with a feedback echo in Skype.

You'd need to use two separate sound cards to record both the incoming and outgoing audio or use a special Skype plug-in that captures and mixes both signals.

Chris
You said with two sound cards you can record both incoming
and outgoing audio, but with no instructions on how.

I'd really like to know how to record skype with two
sound cards. Maybe it is obvious once you know it, but
could you just spell it out? I'd really appreciate it

Thanks!