my apologies, but another skype question

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Perticelli

my apologies, but another skype question

Post by Perticelli »

SO ive selected the "stereo mix" option under record, set the level to 100, unbounded, etc..Still, the elvel of the person on the phone is terrible and when i boost it, there's so much noise, its unusable and filtering just sounds worse.
What am i missing?

i use a usb headset and i can hear the person on the other line real well, and my voice obviously records at good levels. But i can barely hear the other side of the call. Im sure if the other person has skype it would be better, but im calling people who dont have it and the levels are terrible.
Im very frustrated. If anyone can help, i appreciate it.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

It could be several things...

It may be that the analog sound level is simply too low for the soundcard's A/D converter. (i.e. you're only using about 8 of the 16 bits.) Although, I would sort-of expect this to show-up in the headphones too. :?

Maybe the Skype software is adjusting the levels, but these adjustments are not made to the "stereo mix".

It is normal for the local side of the conversation to have a higher level (and a better signal-to-noise ratio) than the remote side. But, regular phones have circuitry to partially cancel your own voice in the earpiece so that you don't blast your ear with your own voice. I would have expected Skype to kill the local side too... not the remote side. :?

Or, search the Net for special "Skype recording" software? A quick search turned-up this.

I believe that there are some sound cards that allow you to use the Windows mixer as a regular mixer in record-mode. A more-professional sound card might work.

You might try a physical line-tap. Radio Shack used to sell a couple of devices for connecting a tape recorder to the phone line. But, you probably can't use that (connected to line-in) and Skype at the same time... Maybe you just need a regular-old physical tap and a tape recorder. :lol:
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

i tried the radio shack way and it's terrible for me...
i have to go read what you found.
It's just weird the way it records.

My laptop is the highend state of the art dell media version..it has a great sound card.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »