Chorus

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Perticelli

Chorus

Post by Perticelli »

Are there any Chorus effect plug ins avail. and if not, any tricks to come close to this?
mainly for voice..singing...pitch issues

thx
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

You can create a chorus effect by copying the voice in a new file, applying a slight change with the pitch, preserving tempo, and mixing the result slightly to the original, with care with the synchronization.
There is also a flanger setting "classical" who can sound a bit similarly to a chorus effect.
Gloup? :-°
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

I thought that might be the way..but how far do you go with pitch?
that's the trick..
if i just use the c to d or whatever, it doesnt work..is there a manual setting and i should just make a slight adjustment?

also, it should be perfectly synched or slightly,slightly off?

thx
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

...c to d or whatever, it doesnt work.
What do you mean "doesn't work"? Are you mixing the modified and unmodified files together? From my very limited knowledge of music, a C & D should sound harmonious together. (Adjacent notes such as C and C# will sound harsh or sour together.)
...perfectly synched or slightly,slightly off?
Try inserting about 50 milliseconds of silence at the beginning of one of the files before mixing. You can start to hear an echo at around 50ms. I think you want to hear "something" but you probably want a short-enough time difference that you don't perceive it as an echo. A good chorus effect will be slightly-off, and it will vary over time. (I think it's going to be difficult to make it vary over time.)

Speaking of echo, a small bit of reverb might help too. Actual echo is probably not what you want... but it depends... Sometimes low-level echo delayed by one or two beats, or by one measure, can sound like it's part of the actual music.

When you mix these pitch-shifted and time-shifted files, you are going to increase the level. Before you save the mixed file, use the maximize feature to make sure you don't exceed 0dB (which will cause clipping).

I suspect it's going to take lots of effort to get a good chorus effect "manually". OK if you want to "play around" (as I often do), but if you are just looking for results, you'd be better off finding a program with a real chorus effect.
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

oh im into playing around. There's nothing like it and finding something that works out.

Im not sure if when i use c to d that it makes the recording automatically in the key of c, then changes it to d or how it works actually. The effect 'works', but i dont know if its what i want.

i agree on the 50 millisecoind idea.
If you use echo, short stereo and take it to 2 echo's and down the time to almost nothing, you can get some depth, but not neccessarily chorus..at least not in my trials yet!

thx
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Im not sure if when i use c to d that it makes the recording automatically in the key of c, then changes it to d or how it works actually.
No. It's not going to change the key first. It's going to shift all of the pitches by that amount.... by whatever the percentage difference that is. :?

You can shift it by any amount and it will sound OK by itself. It's when you play it back along with the original that it might clash. So, C to D, or D to C is the smallest pitch-shift that will blend well with the original.

Musicians have their own language... I know about frequencies and percentages, but I'd have to look-up what a Semitone is. :? OK, I looked it up. A semitone is the difference between two adjacent notes, which is a ratio of 1.05946. C to C# is one semetone. And again, it sounds bad if you play a C and C# together.

So if you use the C to D preset, you will increase all of the frequencies by a factor of 1.122 (two semitones)!

I hope the above is correct... I'm sure some of the musicians here will have some clarifications and maybe corrections. :?
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

THAT was a very helpful reply.
thx much!!

i played around a bit with it and noticed how you could adjust it on the slider bars as well, so you could, by using ur ear, get a pitch that WOULD work, if you dont know it scientifically, which i dont!