why are my files so big?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
xenonsniper

why are my files so big?

Post by xenonsniper »

i was wondering why some of my files will be like 11 megs and others are like 1 can anyone help?
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

The size of audio files is governed by the following:

1. Length of file - time for file to play (assuming music). For wave files, it is approximately 11.0 MB per minute of song.

2. Type of file: Wave files are the largest; mp3 files and other types of compressed files vary depending upon the amount of compression and the audio codec used to compress them. MP3 files at 128 kbps will be about 1/9 th the length of a wave file (if my memory serves me correctly).

An 11 meg wave file (again assuming music) would be about one minute long. A one meg file almost seems as though there is something wrong or it is very short.

PN
Stertedder4

Post by Stertedder4 »

[Spam deleted]
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Hey Stertedder4 - one of the principles of selling is that annoying people is not a real good practice.

If I had ever thought of buying your product, you have successfully persuaded me not to.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

Stertedder4 is maybe not a human, but a robot.
:D
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Besides, who wants to see that shrill woman from the "Maude" sitcom anyway? :wink:
Stiiv
cdeamaze

why are my files so big?

Post by cdeamaze »

An 11 meg wave file (again assuming music) would be about one minute long. A one meg file almost seems as though there is something wrong or it is very short
If you create a music file in midi format, your 11 meg wave file will become 11k instead. No compression is required. :D

Please see my posts, for example,
Listen to "Red River Valley"
where in message 2, it gives a specific example to compare file size for the same song but using different format. Wave vs midi has a 1000:1 ratio!
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

First of all, a midi file is not a music file - it is a set of instructions to a midi instrument, telling what notes to play when, etc.

A mide file can be played and will produce music, but either soft synths or a hard synth are required to make the sound. There is no music in a midi file, only the instructions as to how the sequencer does it with the sound source(s).

Goldwave will play wave files (uncompressed, or mp3's - actually it conversts mp3's to a wave file), but Goldwave will not play a midi file.

Windows Media Player will play wave files and midi files, but for a midi file, it uses either the onboard sound chip on the MOBO, or it uses the chip in the soundcard. Some high end soundcards (like mine) have no sound chip and will not generate the various instrument sounds - they require an external hard synth or soft synths.

A midi file cannot be made from a wave file - at least successfully. There have been many attempts and claims, and this topic has been covered several times at least on this forum, and many times on others, but the bottom line is that conversion software for "wave to midi" is pathetic at best and laughable at the worst. It's a far-off dream, however one that I wish would come true.

The analogy has been given several times - it's like un-baking a cake and separating all the ingredients into their original form.

There are a few people that will dispute this and I offer the challenge - show me.

PN
cdeamaze

Why are my files so big?

Post by cdeamaze »

conversion software for "wave to midi" is pathetic at best and laughable at the worst. It's a far-off dream, however one that I wish would come true.

The analogy has been given several times - it's like un-baking a cake and separating all the ingredients into their original form.
Notice I use the term create a file in midi format or create a file in wave format, not convert from wave to midi. When you create something, you start from scratch, so there is no conversion involved. As to whether a midi file is laughable, why don't you ask any reader in this forum who listened to my posts such as Listen to "Red River Valley" or Listening to "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" to be your judge!

A better analogy may be the following. If creating a wave file is like building a mansion, then creating a midi file will be like building a cabin. You either build a mansion or build a cabin, both from scratch. You don't build a mansion then convert it to a cabin, do you?

Despite all the advantage that a midi file can offer, if you create a song by recording one sung by a human being, then you can't use a midi format. For background music, midi will be a perfect choice.

BTW, it's time to answer the original question:
why are my files so big?
If you are determined to build a mansion, will you ask yourself, "Why are my cost so high?" Nonetheless, I agree totally with piano nick that you do have an option to cut your cost by changing your file length or file type or both.
cdeamaze

Why are my files so big?

Post by cdeamaze »