Error Message: Interface does not exist or must not be used

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Louis5377

Error Message: Interface does not exist or must not be used

Post by Louis5377 »

Got error msg: Error Message: Interface does not exist or must not be used at this time - After I Save As to a MP3 format - It goes through the converting process and at the end - I get tht message. I have windows media MP3 enabled - I have the lame encoder installed. Any suggestions - thanks-Louis
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Error Message: Interface does not exist or must not be u

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Thanks for the error report. An update to correct the problem is now available.

Chris
shazzidy

Post by shazzidy »

hi, I have the same error message...I have installed the LAME file and copied it to the correct folder.
Please tell me where to find the updates?????

S
xx
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure you have the latest version of GoldWave installed from the website.

If you are trying to save a file that is in a format that GoldWave does not support (such as a video file that contains audio), try using the File | Save As command to save it as Wave instead.

Chris
orudge

Post by orudge »

I have been receiving this same error when trying to open up a FLAC file in GoldWave (version 5.25 on Windows XP Pro x64 Edition). Indeed, the same thing happens for an entire directory of FLAC files from the same album, but not any of my other FLAC albums (out of a view I've checked, at least). I can play the files in other media players, and indeed, I can play them with the green preview play button in the Open window. They're standard 44,100Hz, 16-bit stereo FLAC files. Any idea what might be causing the problem? I can provide a file for debugging if need be.

Thanks,
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Hi Owen!

If your machine has another FLAC codec active (for instance, the Gabest DS splitter and/or the ffdshow package), it could cause the error you mentioned. If you use ffdshow, go into Audio Decoder Config & disable its handling of FLAC files. If not, try Softella's DirectShow Filter Manager to see if there's an active DS splitter for FLAC on your machine....if so, lowering its priority might allow the GW FLAC plugin to function properly.

Let us know if you make any progress.
Stiiv
orudge

Post by orudge »

Hmm, I do have ffdshow installed, but I tried without FLAC enabled and that didn't help. The only other FLAC filter I have is the old CoreFLAC filter, but I never had any problems with that before (and the FLAC itself does play in mplayer2, etc).

The other perhaps odd thing about this is that it will appear to decode the FLAC file - it'll get to the end of the progress bar, and that's when the error will appear. As I say, the previews work fine.

Thanks for your suggestions,
BCTess

Post by BCTess »

I have exactly the same problem - I can play FLAC files in preview mode, but every time I try to open one, Goldwave appears to pre-process it correclty, and then pops up the subject error message box.

This is Goldwave 5.25, Windows XP Pro, SP2 (32-bit).

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ray Mansell
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

None of the FLAC files I have seem to cause the problem, so I'm going to need a sample file for testing. Contact me if you can provide one. Also search your computer for any old copies of the libFLAC.dll file. That may cause a problem.

Chris
BCTess

Post by BCTess »

Hmmm... the particular files I tried are rather large. However, if you have a fast internet connection, you can find them here: http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/audi ... stereo.zip

The only libflac.dll I have on my computer is 143,360 bytes, dated 02/13/07 23:45.

Thank you...
Ray Mansell
mh

Post by mh »

Just got the same, again only one libflac on my PC.

Interestingly, I was able to open the FLAC in Audacity, and it seems that it was one of two things happening:

* Either GW barfed on a silence of about 4 seconds in the middle of the file (I'd consider this unlikely), or

* Audacity was better able to handle corruptions in the encoding (it replaced them with silence) whereas GW stops if it hits such a corruption.

For now, the solution seems to be to open them in Audacity, export to a WAV, then work on them in GW.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It appears that using the latest version of libFLAC.dll avoids the problem. You can find information about updating the DLL here. That will be included with the next GoldWave update.

Chris