Scrolling while recording

GoldWave general discussions and community help
audioman

Scrolling while recording

Post by audioman »

Hi,
Would it be at all possible to implement such a feature? I've tried using the "Control" window but it uses too much of my CPU.
Now when I start recording, the record window starts to scroll as the WAV file is accumulated but quits after it reaches the right side.
The ability to have that simple WAV form continue to the end of the of the music file would be great!
Hoping you might consider such a change.
Thank you for such great software and for all the ongoing enhancements!
Cheers,
Fred
holtram

Scrolling window

Post by holtram »

I'm not exactly sure I'm understanding you, but having the window follow the cursor continually was controlled in v 5.20 and earlier by setting the scroll lock key on the keyboard. Then as the cursor reached the right hand side of the window, the window would jump to the next section.

I think in 5.22 it's controlled in a different manner, no longer the scroll lock but rather by dropping down and selecting a particular option. I'm not sure as I have not yet upgraded to 5.22.

So anyway, if this is actually what you are wanting then there is a way to do it depending on your version - somebody help me with the method in 5.22...
audioman

Post by audioman »

Thanks Holtram,
I've got GoldWave v5.22. I've tried the scroll lock and that doesn't seem to work.
If there's a way to do I'd sure like to know about it.
On some files I'd like to watch the WAV scroll while its recording. I could then note, perhaps by using the file time frame, any problematic areas that might require a manual touch-up.
Thanks again for your interest and response!
Cheers,
Fred
holtram

Scroll Lock

Post by holtram »

Ok I knew there was a post which covered this somewhere - you can do a forum search on "scroll lock" but I think the way you toggle in 5.22 is to drop down "View" and check/uncheck "Auto-Scroll Lock" to get the window to follow the cursor or not.

I can't verify this not having 5.22, but take a look at that option and see if it gets the behavior you are after.
msm

Re: Scrolling while recording

Post by msm »

Hello all: I have most recent version (6.51), and there is indeed an on/off scroll lock function that is on the drop-down View menu, or, scroll-lock can be invoked with a CTRL-L shortcut. It works by showing, for example during recording, the vertical cursor line travel from left to right as recording continues, and when it gets to the far right screen edge, the screen blanks and it starts up again (no delay or gap) at left screen edge again, and again, etc. Is there a way for the current (i.e., the 'now') recording position to stay, for example, at center screen, so I can watch the wave forms continually move, as it were, to the left of that center-screen 'now' position? Thanks - Michael
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling while recording

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There isn't a way to center the waveform. It's something we've been considering, but requires some challenging optimizations in the waveform rendering function.