Recording with reverb/delay fx over mix?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mikehende

Recording with reverb/delay fx over mix?

Post by mikehende »

Hey guys, I have reverb and delay machines on my dj rig which is use when playing mp3's.

I use an mp3 DJ/Radio software to make automatic mixes but I can save the mix as wav. I am thinking I can import the wav mix into Goldwave and possibly apply the reverb and delay fx over part of any song in the mix, can I do this with Goldwave in any way please? If yes, when playing back the final mix which will be saved as mp3 in any player, will the mix with the added fx sound the same as if I were playing the music live on my dj rig and triggering the fx from my hardware fx machines?
DougDbug

Re: Recording with reverb/delay fx over mix?

Post by DougDbug »

Yes. GoldWave has Echo and Reverb effects. Go-ahead and download the free trial and try it!
over part of any song in the mix,
The effects will be applied only to the selection.

Note that you are adding sound so the volume will increase. You may have to use Effect -> Volume -> Shape Volume to fade-down the louder section. This could also push the levels over 0dB into clipping so it's usually a good idea to run the Volume -> Maximize Volume effect (which will bring the volume up or down for 0dB peaks) before saving.
will the mix with the added fx sound the same as if I were playing the music live on my dj rig and triggering the fx from my hardware fx machines?
No two hardware effects boxes will sound exactly the same and no two software effects will sound exactly the same. Maybe the echo/delay can be made same the and EQ can often be similar but reverb is almost always different.
I use an mp3 DJ/Radio software
As you probably know MP3 is lossy compression. When you open an MP3 in an audio editor it gets decompressed. If you then re-save as MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression and the damage does accumulate. You may not notice the quality loss but it's something to be aware of. If possible work with lossless files and compress ONCE as the last step and if you're stuck with MP3 originals try to minimize the number of times it's compressed.

FYI - In audio jargon echo is normally called delay and what GoldWave calls maximizing everybody else calls normalizing... GoldWave uses better English words but it's different from everybody else.
mikehende

Post by mikehende »

GREAT info and help, thank you!

If GW's built-in fx does not cut it for me, can I import and use any random VST plugin in GW for this purpose please? Reason asking is because I had listened to Waves demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15_FTMYi5w

and it sounds even better than my hardware reverb so would like to try it and maybe for delay fx I might even need to work with some other plugin.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

WAVES does not officially support GoldWave but you could try the WAVES demo.
mikehende

Post by mikehende »

Well, I have been using GW for many years now off and on whenever needed and now totally shocked to find it's included effects which I had never tried sounds better than my hardware fx machines!!
mikehende

Post by mikehende »

I imported an mp3 mix into GW and checking the net and GW's tutorial I am not noticing any reference showing how I can play the mp3, apply fx over pasts of the tunes and record the completed mix, any links to or can anyone help me with this part please? I guess what I am saying is I need to play the mp3 and trigger the fx wherever but need to record everything then export as wav or mp3.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

and trigger the fx wherever but need to record everything then export as wav or mp3.
GoldWave works on audio files. Sometimes it's called a "WAV editor" although it can open or save other formats.

It's not a real-time processor. You load a file (or record a file). Then apply effects. Then save your work as a new file. You're not "recording" a new file, you're creating a new file (or overwriting the old file if you are brave and foolish).
mikehende

Post by mikehende »

Well, here's one thing I am taking which might work better and easier, what if I were to try this option and config Ots > VAC >Goldwave

So I route my OTSAV [DJ Software] Output through the Virtual Cables then that through Goldwave's Input, this means OTSAV will be playing the playlist live in GoldWave and I can apply Goldwave's fx wherever and have GoldWave record everything then save as wav, can this work please or if not any workaround to get the result?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave does not process live streams. Effects can be used only post-production (after recording).