Importing MID files?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
JeffM

Importing MID files?

Post by JeffM »

How can I import MID files into GoldWave? I always get a 'Cannot determine format of file'
dialog error message.

BTW, I can play MID files using Windows Media Player, but there are a lot of annoying
pops and clicks, probably because WMP sucks at playing MID files. So unfortunately,
I don't want to record the audio directly from WMP into a WAV file. :cry:
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Jeff:

A MIDI file is not a sound or music file. MIDI files are a set of instructions that when given to a MIDI instrument, will instruct the MIDI instrument what notes to play, how long, how loud, and what sound.

Goldwave cannot import a MIDI file.

Where did you get the MIDI file? I have created about 100 from scratch by recording the MIDI file on my digital piano, and have added bass, drum and accomp tracks by using a sequencer program.

A sequencer program then needs some source of sound (a hard synth or soft synths) to "play" the MIDI file which then creates a sound or music file (usually called a wave file).

Goldwave is a WAVE editor/recorder.

Piano Nick
Jossse

Post by Jossse »

piano nick wrote:I have created about 100 from scratch by recording the MIDI file on my digital piano, and have added bass, drum and accomp tracks by using a sequencer program.
have you made any song or remix?
JeffM

Post by JeffM »

I searched the forum and came up with a program called Audio Composer
that can convert MID to WAV, but when I play it, the instruments are all
wrong. Windows Media Player does play the correct instruments, but the sound
is not very clean, pops and clicks.
JeffM

Post by JeffM »

A MIDI file is not a sound or music file. MIDI files are a set of instructions that
when given to a MIDI instrument, will instruct the MIDI instrument what notes to play,
how long, how loud, and what sound.

Goldwave is a WAVE editor/recorder.
BTW, yes I know what a MID file is. And I'm not asking for Goldwave to edit a MID file,
I'm trying to *convert* it into a WAV file, so Goldwave can use it.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Well.... There is a way to record "What You Hear". Take a look at this GoldWave FAQ.

That assumes that you have a program that will play the file with the correct instruments and without the "pops & clicks". I'm not sure what would cause that. But I'm not the MIDI expert... Nick is. :) Your soundcard / soundchip does have influence the MIDI output.

The downside is that you are making an analog recording (digital-to-ananog-to-digital). I would have thought you could do it digitally... :? I would think a good MIDI to WAV program would allow you to select and tweek the instruments...
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

JeffM:

Sorry if sounded condescending; not everyone knows what a MID file is.

If WMP won't play your MID file without pops and clicks, it isn't the fault of WMP; there is likely a serious problem elsewhere. This can be in the setup of your system, your soundcard drivers - a whole range of things.

WMP plays MID files very well on my system, but I'm using a fairly good digital piano (Roland KR7) as the sound source.

Jossse:

Yes, a lot of songs.

Everyone of them starts as a MID file. Most of the work is done in MIDI. The final step is "playing" the MIDI file and recording it in Goldwave. Well this isn't quite true - I do some compression, EQ'ing, and Maxing in Goldwave.

PN
Jossse

Post by Jossse »

piano nick wrote:Yes, a lot of songs.
so share them!

i'll share some of my songs:
http://www.freewebs.com/jossse_/mymusic.htm :D

enchoy'em