Product eval - can Goldwave do this?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
LemonMan

Product eval - can Goldwave do this?

Post by LemonMan »

I'm in the process of evaluating the Goldwave product by reading the documentation and the various forums & links - have not downloaded the product yet. I’d like to know just how capable the product is against the following objectives.

First, I need to trim the beginning and end off various MP3 files, while also attenuating the volume at the beginning and end of the revised song, making it sound like a professional version. Looks like Goldwave can crop any portion out of a song, but I'm unsure about the attenuation capability.

Secondly, once I have edited the files of choice, I want to concatenate all the files into 1 file. I’m not sure if I can use a copy/paste method in Goldwave, or need the companion product Multiquence Mixer for this effort.

Lastly, and the most robust functionality I need, is the ability to translate times (or counts) to digital audio. In other words, I want a counter program to create audible versions of say 1 min 30 seconds, 2 min 45 seconds, and so forth. I don’t mind writing batch files or VB code to do the counting and issue the commands, but not real keen on the audio translation.

Can this product help me? Any advice is appreciated.

The purpose all this is (if interested); I am trying to overlay the translated audio counts on top of my favorite music files, in order to create interval training programs for tri-athlete workouts. Ideally, I want to be listening to my music during a workout, but I also want my MP3 player to audibly ping me at 1 minute, 2 minute, etc. Yes, I understand I can create the counting file manually with a simple stopwatch, MIC, & PC recording software, but this would be very time consuming with all the various workout routines. For example, Monday & Wednesday workouts may be on one set of counts, whereas I may want the change the timing of Friday’s workout.

As a bonus, if Goldwave will convert data in the iTunes comments field, to another field used by Windows Media Player, that would be a very handy. I have many, many hours invested in iTunes Smart-Playlist, driven off the Comments field, and I’d like to convert to other media formats.
Last edited by LemonMan on Fri May 19, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKCBoy

Re: Product eval - can Goldwave do this?

Post by OKCBoy »

LemonMan wrote:Secondly, once I have edited the files of choice, I want to concatenate all the files into 1 file. I’m not sure if I can perhaps use a copy/paste method in Goldwave, or need the companion product Multiquence Mixer for this effort.
Actually, you don't need either to get this second requirement. See the answer from Goldwave (Chris) here.

For the third requirement, are you wanting a voice-over at regular intervals, like every so many minutes?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You can fade-in fade-out and crossfade songs.

You can joing songs together in one big file. There are several ways to do this. I usually use the mix feature to start the 2nd song while the 1st fades out. (This is a little different from a crossfade where you are actively fading-out and fading-in.)

GoldWave cannot automatically create a digitized counting-voice. It could probably be done with a MIDI program... I dunno..

You could use MIDI with some sort of beep-code. Three short beeps for three minutes, a high-pitched tone for 10 minutes.... whatever seems logical to you. I've done something like that before, but not too complex. One beep for one minute, one beep again at 1:30, two beeps at 2:00, and two again at 2:30. I think I only went to 10 or 15 minutes, and I didn't use MIDI.

You would use the MIDI file/software to make a WAV file. Then, you can use GoldWave to mix the music with the MIDI-generated beeps (or voice).

I can't recommend any MIDI software... I don't use MIDI... I only know the kinds of things that are possible with it.

I don't know anything about iTunes comments...

You might run into file-size problems if you make an audio file long-enough to last through a triathlon. (How long does a triathlon take?) The longest files I've worked with are less than 3 hours.I'm not sure what the limits are, but GoldWave makes temporary files that are many times larger that an MP3 (or iTunes) file.
LemonMan

Post by LemonMan »

For the third requirement, are you wanting a voice-over at regular intervals, like every so many minutes?

Yes I am. For instance, for the running workout, I want the voice-over to say "1 minute, Level 5", then "2 minute, Level 6", and so forth, according to the planned workout for that day. It's interval training, a predetermined timeframe at a predetermined speed. But with my music along with it.

I'm probably asking to much here, but that's what I do - push it!
Jossse

Post by Jossse »

LemonMan wrote:For the third requirement, are you wanting a voice-over at regular intervals, like every so many minutes?

Yes I am. For instance, for the running workout, I want the voice-over to say "1 minute, Level 5", then "2 minute, Level 6", and so forth, according to the planned workout for that day. It's interval training, a predetermined timeframe at a predetermined speed. But with my music along with it.

I'm probably asking to much here, but that's what I do - push it!
well for that u will have to record ur voice (on a new archive) and then copy it, and mix it with the music (ctrl+m)

easy! :D