Lost Higher MPEG Layer 3 Wav Bitrates

GoldWave general discussions and community help
9x300

Lost Higher MPEG Layer 3 Wav Bitrates

Post by 9x300 »

After installing the latest version (5.14) I noticed that the highest Wav MPEG Layer 3 kBit rate I can save as is 56. I used to have the ability to save as up to 320. Was this ability removed or is something missing? How can I get this abilty back. Thanks
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

9x300

In order to answer your question, I attempted to save one of my wave files to MPEG, and I couldn't get any bit rate to work!!!!!

What I found was this: OPTIONS | FILE FORMAT OPTIONS | select the DEFAULT SAVE FORMAT tab.

In the two boxes, select the options you wish to use, and click OK.

Now when you click on SAVE AS, the attributes you selected above will show up in the bottom of the box, and you can save as an MPEG file.

It seems to me that the procedure has changed, but it still works.

EDIT:

One more correction: I had checked the box for "Do not allow other file types and attributes to be selected". Now that I have unchecked this box, I have the full selection of MPEG options. I should have read the instructions more carefully.

I hope this help with your problem. Let us know.

PN
9x300

Post by 9x300 »

Thanks PN,

I already had my File Types settings set as you say and I do get some mpeg save as options. But not as many as I used to have. For example, I could save an .mp3 file as a .wav file at 128 bit, 24 kilohertz stereo. But now the maximum allowed is only 56 bit, 24 kilohertz. I was wondering what happened to all the other bit rates.......

Tom
9x300
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

9 x 3000:

I guess we're going to have to wait for Goldwave Chris - I'm puzzled.

PN
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Lost Higher MPEG Layer 3 Wav Bitrates

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure you have the LAME MP3 encoder installed. If it is not installed, GoldWave attempts to use the default Windows MP3 encoder, which may be limited to 56kbps unless you have Windows Media Player 10 installed on Windows XP. The MP10 encoder is needed to get the higher bitrates for the Wave file type.

Chris
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Why didn't I think of that? We've already been through the mp3 encoder thing several times haven't we?

PN