VST Effects

GoldWave general discussions and community help
pough

Post by pough »

I'm seeing a lot of familiar names, here. Hello, fellow KvR members!

Yeah, long time GoldWave user here. My hand is also up for who wants VST support. Oh, to have Voxengo Redunoise or Elephant available without loading up a DAW!

And just for laughs I'd like to reiterate another request I made (I think) - an evenly spaced grid overlay. Imagine you've loaded a WAV file from which you'd like to extract a loop. Throw on a grid ovelay, let's say split into 4 (and maybe even subdivided to get those 8th notes). Move the ends until you can see the lines line up with the transients. Play in the grid, looped. Sounds good? Copy grid to new file. And for a few more laughs, calculate the BPM automagically!

Probably not your target market, but it can't hurt to ask. :)
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Chris had stated that he worked on a automatic BPM counter to someone else on the board and stated he never got accurate results. I too have played with various types of auto BPM counters and found them to only work when something REALLY has a bass line or good hard drums.

as far as using a grid to loop.....this is quite funny..becuase when i started playing with goldwave, one of the many skills i taught myself was percise editing..as in removing a part of song so it splices cleanly...i've also been able to extract loops from stuff.

for me, i had more luck using my ear and examining the waveform on each end..i honestly have no idea how a grid would actually help..UNLESS you wanted to overlay a portion of visible waveform on top of another to see if it matches up that way...but even then that's not totally accurate.

if you go to my youtube page (youtube.com/dewdude82) and watch the ipod video i uploaded...i matched the TV audio from the audio CD by basically just listening and careful splicing....when i DJ'd my sisters wedding reception and she wanted It's A Wonderful World to be longer...again, using mostly my ear and some examination of waveforms i spliced the first verse in after the last verse with a chourse acting as a segway....no one EVER knew it was spliced.

i mean, it sounds like a good idea...but i guess in my head i can't see how you'd gain much from it.
pough

Post by pough »

I wasn't thinking of a BPM counter based on the transients. I figured it would calculate it based on the clip length and the number of grid lines - pure math.

As for what the grid lines would be helpful for... I've made loops using GoldWave before. It's not too difficult. But I think the grid would just add to the experience. Maybe it would only really be helpful for the starting point (to eyeball where transients are hitting grid lines), but it would still be nice, IMO. (And it would make the BPM thing work better without it having to be smart.)

If you have a starting point and you know you want 4 (or 8 or 16) beats, select "grid overlay - 4 beats" and you just draw from that initial point to a place where grid lines are matching the obvious beats in the song. Now you're quickly and easily at a place where you only need to nudge a little to finish. Then when you're finished, 4 beats and a known length makes for easy BPM... doesn't it?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

i see what you're saying...however, whenever i need to calculate a rough BPM, i just select six seconds and count the beats...multiply by 10.

naturally the problem with relying on a grid to align beats is that you still need to listen to make sure you can cleanly loop what you need...and most loops are short enough i guess i just, never thought of it..i'd cut a rough portion, tweak the selction points, play selection in a loop, and go from there.

but it's like I've stated here before...people have vastly different ways of doing the same thing...espically with a program like goldwave where there's a multitude of methods to do something...it's all in what you've taught yourself.
pough

Post by pough »

DewDude420 wrote:i see what you're saying...however, whenever i need to calculate a rough BPM, i just select six seconds and count the beats...multiply by 10.
And if you're working with a 5-second clip...? Calculating BPM is far from impossible, it's just that a computer that knows the time of the selection AND the number of beats pretty much has the BMP sitting right there. I mean, this is what computers are for.
DewDude420 wrote:naturally the problem with relying on a grid to align beats is that you still need to listen to make sure you can cleanly loop what you need...and most loops are short enough i guess i just, never thought of it..i'd cut a rough portion, tweak the selction points, play selection in a loop, and go from there.
I don't imagine it being a reliance on the grid. It's just there to make the starting point of the selection easier. The way I see it, grid lines would be more of a reference than nothing at all; the final selection needs to be done by ear. I think I thought of this when I was working with clips that had some clear beats, but the end points were in a mess of sound. It would have been a piece of cake to line up beats two and three, but that last one (and its end point) get lost in wavy waves.

Here, let me show you. Suppose you know the starting point, but the end is not so clear...

The second one shows a selection area with four zones. Note how easily you can find the proper end point when the other sections line up with beats. The first one is a bit off, but that may be either sloppy musicians or sloppy Photoshop skills. Either way, this would make things much easier for me anyways. I guess not for you, but... I'm the one making the request!

Vonbrucken

Post by Vonbrucken »

pough wrote:I'm seeing a lot of familiar names, here. Hello, fellow KvR members!

:)
We have no life that's why !!!! :cry: :lol:
cheers pough !
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Vonbrucken wrote:is Goldwave written in Delphi ?
GoldWave is written is C++, which is what the VST SDK uses.
pough wrote:And just for laughs I'd like to reiterate another request I made (I think) - an evenly spaced grid overlay.
That is on the "to do" list.

Chris
pough

Post by pough »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:That is on the "to do" list.

Chris
Woo hoo! Thanks, Chris! Now it's also on my "to use" list! ;-)
Vonbrucken

Post by Vonbrucken »

And is the vst support on the "to do "list ?
:P :?:
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

The "wrapper" support works pretty well with most of the VST plugs I've tried.
Stiiv
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Stiiv - canya suggest a wrapper and a source?
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

I went looking for a source for the wrapper I use, & couldn't find anything...so I went to my archives (being a nut about backing up does have its advantages!) & found it. I'll pm the info to you, Don.

Update: I didn't realize that PM's are disabled here....until now. Please e-mail me at "stiiv at stiiv dot com" for the file.
Stiiv
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Vonbrucken wrote:And is the vst support on the "to do "list ?
No. VST support is on the "doing" list.

Chris
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

VST support is on the "doing" list.
<duffman> OHHHHHHH yeah!</duffman>
Stiiv
dhanjit

Post by dhanjit »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Vonbrucken wrote:And is the vst support on the "to do "list ?
No. VST support is on the "doing" list.

Chris
Woot! :D