Refresh My Memory

GoldWave general discussions and community help
sandyg

Refresh My Memory

Post by sandyg »

It's been a while and I've forgotten how to convert a ".cda" file into an "MP3" file.

Specifically, I've got musical soundtracks on CDs that I've purchased and need to convert them to MP3s in order to put the sound underneath my voice-overs. Do they need to be converted to a ".wav" file first, or is there a direct conversion.

I know it's a simple question and I feel silly not remembering.

Thanks for your collective help.

Sandy G :oops:
Windows-XP,M-Audio MobilePre USB,Marshall MXL770 Condenser Mic,GoldWave
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Hi Sandy.

"cda" files are not audio....they're pointers to where each track's data resides on an audio cd. You'd want to use Goldwave's CD Reader tool to grab those tracks & save them...I'd save to wav first, then convert the wavs to MP3.
Stiiv
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

This is called ripping. *

It's better to rip the files to WAV.
Leave everything in WAV format, and then convert to MP3 as the last step after mixing with your voice. Audio CDs and standard WAV files both use uncompressed PCM encoding. You can convert back and forth between CD and WAV without any quality loss.

It takes time to open & decompress an MP3 file, and it takes time to compress & save. And, MP3 is lossy compression. Data is thrown-away during compression. This means you loose some quality every time you compress. So, it's best to compress once when you are all done editing.

That said, there are a couple of FREE programs that can rip directly to MP3 (or WAV). As with GoldWave, you will have to install the LAME MP3 encoder separately.

Exact Audio Copy
Audiograber

I usually use Exact Audio Copy, because it reports any errors and attempts to correct them. (A damaged CD will often play OK, but the ripped file will have "clicks" or other defects.)

* "Ripping" is the common vernacular. Technically, it's called Digital Audio Extraction or DAE.