Monitoring recordings.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
747skipper

Monitoring recordings.

Post by 747skipper »

I record talking newspapers and have upgraded to an external USB audio to digital (and vice versa) converter. Whilst using the built in sound card the input was automatically sent to the output but with the USB device this isn't so.
Is there any way of getting GoldWave to output what it is recording?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

If your USB device driver has a duplex setting, make sure it's set to "full duplex". You should also run Goldwave Setup & make sure the the "Allow playback while recording" box is checked.

Let us know how it goes.
Stiiv
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

This link might help. Once you've changed the setting that Stiiv mentioned, you can start playback about a second or so after you start recording to hear what's being recorded. Also make sure you have the right playback and recording devices selected in GoldWave (press F11, Device tab).

Chris
747skipper

Thanks

Post by 747skipper »

Thank you both for your replies.
I already have GoldWave set up as you suggest.

Unfortunately training our recorders to start replay just after they start record is not on.

Having followed the link, it's best suggestion is to split the input and this I have tried, but it then requires a change over switch between monitoring record and playback, and I can see no way of automating this, since only GoldWave knows when it is recording.

My only other idea is to feed the signal to be recorded to both the USB sound device and the normal sound card and monitor from the sound card whilst sending the finished high quality signal (for producing tape recordings) from the USB device. Is there any way of sending GoldWave output to USB device and sound card simultaneously? (Win XP serv Pk 2)

Many thanks for both your contributions and again congrats on a really great prog, can I add pass-through provision to the wish list for future upgrades?

David
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Another alternative is to get a USB audio device that has a speaker/headphone output with the ability to monitor its own input (like a built-in sound card).

There are no plans to add a pass-through option to GoldWave at the moment, but I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Chris