can I use effect (i.e.echo) in real time without recording?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
fiodor

can I use effect (i.e.echo) in real time without recording?

Post by fiodor »

Hi!

i have this problem that I want to use GW to produce echo or other effects while speaking to the microphone. no recording! is it possible with GW, to automatically add echo to your speach and hear it from speakers? if so, can someone explain how to do it? if it can be done under GW, maybe some other program which can do this stuff?

Thanks for all info.

regards

fiodor
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Many consumer-level sound cards (like Creative's SB line) come with features & software applets that allow the user to add real-time effects, like echo, chorus, reverb etc. I don't know what you have there, but my old SBLive's AudioHQ applet lets me do exactly what you've described.

Hope this helps.
Stiiv
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

GoldWave is really an audio file editor.

I think most real-time effects need to be done with a DSP chip on the soundcard (or inside the soundchip). Not all soundcards/soundchips will have this capability. The multitasking nature of the Windows operating system means that "real-time" processing requires a buffer to keep the data flowing smoothly when the CPU/databus is interrupted. ...A buffer is also delay. So, for real-time processing, you really need to keep the audio inside the soundcard/soundchip, rather than using "normal" software and the CPU/databus. (Ironically, delay is required for an echo effect!)

You are probably better-off looking for something other than a Windows computer for this task (i.e. a stand-alone effects processor). ...Besides, it just makes me nervous when people rely on computers for anything "important" (such as a live performance). I love computers, but between the computer hardware, the application, the operation system, and the user; there are just too many things that can potentially go wrong! (...I guess you need a backup for anything important, no matter what hardware/software you are using.)

If you want to stick with a computer-soundcard solution, you might look into soundcards and software that support (low latency) ASIO drivers, rather than the standard Windows/DirectX drivers.
fiodor

Post by fiodor »

Thank you. You've been realy helpful. I guess I won't use my laptop then for such effects cuz I have integrated sound card and it's a crap. I won't buy any external effects, either. All I wanted was to use it during house parties ;) but well, I'll have to lifve without it.

Thanks once again.