Looks like I'm out of service for a while...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DewDude420

Looks like I'm out of service for a while...

Post by DewDude420 »

yeah...let me take you to about....6 hours ago.

I had just gone done doing a quick restore on some reel-tape i transferred and i threw it into goldwave and used auto-cue..split..beautitful..started buring in nero, burned disc one, started burning disc 2, walk to kitchen..

then..lights flicker violently..i hear all kinds of electricity arcing....i run to my room to see if one of my vintage pieces of gear shorted out....no, i see a bit of fire coming from the computer.

After the smoke clears and i get the thing outside do i smell that lovely mix of capicator and silicon. That's right..the power supply fireballed. I mean, literally, fireballed. 4 caps blew thier cases..i mean, they literally SHOT off the base of the cap..which i'm sure started the arcing..causing just about every semiconductor in that thing to explode...in the meantime with the way it was designed, the 3.3v rail got arced on, which, you guessed it, blew everything plugged into the motherboard...

somehow...the hard drives survived. that's it. on the one hand...I saved ALLL my data..on the downside....i lost allll my hardware.

looks like i'm in the market for a new soundcard..and a whole new system.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

:shock: That's Terrible! :(

...Well you did get a good story to tell out of it. :?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

yeah....

this was my audio machine though..that's what was scary at first because inside this box with the 'splodin power supply, i had a metal box containg about 300 gigs of audio work i really couldn't replace...luckly..THAT survived..because it's sitting in my linux server...along with the 1gb stick of DDR that didn't get fried. I assume my XFi is still good...i don't know. if it's not, that's not devistating, but it's heartbreaking...as i had to sell my PSP to buy that puppy...but still not as devistating of losing an entire drive.

i'm looking at getting an all intel system next. found a rather nice barebones on tigerdriect with a core2 duo.
audioman

Gotta' Pick Up The Pieces...

Post by audioman »

Thank goodness that you were able to salvage most of the important things..
What a bizzare happening...it's enough to make your toes curl!!
Fortunately, things went fairly well!
Fred
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Sorry about your losses, pal. Thank God you were able to save that drive...when friends/family ask me why I'm so nuts about backing everything up, I tell 'em the horror stories of people who DID lose their lives' work....they are, of course, properly mortified, but evidently not enough to do backups. :roll:
Stiiv
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Well, that drive also holds my music collection..and, I have come close to losing it in the past, let's see if i can remember the recap.

1999 - inital backup of 131mb of mp3's made to a CD-R (drive formatted later, still actually in use in my 3 y/o nieces Dell)
2000 - suffered massive FAT32 table crash. lost a couple albums, copied from damaged drive to new drive (that drive, still working fine in another computer)
2002 - collection moved from 40gb to 80gb drive - made 15 CD-R backup of everything
2003 - new 120gb drive!
2004 - lost music for 3 hours after partition table died and ext3 filesystem got corrupted. recovered all but 2 or 3 albums. made a 15 DVD-R backup.
2006 - external 500GB hard drive for all these badboys
2007 - 500 GB started suffering massive $MFT corruptions. losing media on a daily basis. froze drive, purchased new one, recovered 98% of drive with linux tools. new 500 GB internal formated to ext2

i've only backed up like, three times really..generally AFTER the major stuff happens or before signs of trouble come through. it hasn't been often. after switching to ext2 i've got fewer data-corruptions..and yes, XP has a ext2 fs driver you can download.

I should backup more often..but comon, back in 04 it took 15 single-layer DVD-R's, that's a lot of time spent burning, swapping, burning, swapping...god forbid i burn dual-layer discs....2.4x? ouch.

This image link...it's a heatsink with a couple of transistors i pulled from my blown power supply..that's just a small part of the damage...sections of the board had holes blown/burned through it...not to mention not one section of that thing wasn't burned in some way. http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 035kn0.jpg
holtram

Backups

Post by holtram »

I too recently got a 500gb external hard drive and have had intermittent $MFT errors also - what is it with these things? I've googled and found loads of problems, no real solutions. Best I've tried involved buying a new USB 2.0 card, now backups go fairly smoothly. Also downloaded a Microsoft patch which did diddly-squat.

My understanding is that XP SP3 is supposed to address the USB 2.0 data transfer problems, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I really do like the external.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Yes, while SP3 for XP might address USB2.0 issues...mind you I was using Firewire transfer....which, knowing microsoft...uses USB2.0 backend somehow..stupid microsoft.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I pay Carbonite $50 per year to back up my stuff. It's Cheap. It Works.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

yeah, dude, it would take me probably a year to back my stuff up to somewhere online...probably longer...300 gigs at a meg every minute? it's well over 200 days, and we're talkin constant nonstop at full speed..i'd never be able to surf or download anything...online backup might be good for photos and documents...but not for any serious media.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

I pay Carbonite $50 per year to back up my stuff. It's Cheap. It Works.
But is it worth it, Don? :wink:

Stiiv
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

But is it worth it, Don?
Only if something happens and I really, really need it.

Fifty bucks a year is cheap.

I am storing somewhere around a hundred gigs and it took about three weeks. I used my computer as usual during that time.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

this is the thing, you don't have the absolute crappiest DSL service verizon offers i imagine...uploading a hundred gigs in a week is...amazing compared to my speeds. Seriously, it would take me every bit of 200 days to upload 300 gigs...and that's with the upstream going full blast..and one thing about verizon, if you're saturating your upstream, there's no additional TCP/IP overhead to work with so downloads just crawl....not to mention QoS refuses to work.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I guess I'm kinda lucky.

I am using a wireless broadband connection. At the time, I could not get DSL and Cable wasn't a possibility. I discovered a wireless provider and signed up. I don't get the blazing download speeds that cable offers - and I am pretty sure that DSL downloads more quickly than my wireless system. But, my upload speeds seem to be somewhat better than either DSL or Cable.

I just stopped for a minute and ran a speed test. My download registered 2381 kbps and my upload speed showed 1452 kbps. This is pretty much what I find on those occasions when I take the time to check it.

My brother in law has cable and he says his is rated to upload at around 500 kbps and his download is supposed to be somthing like 5000 kbps. My neighbor has DSL and he told me his down loads generally clock in at about 3000 and uploads may hit 500 from time to time.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I average about 713kbps down and 88kbps up. My DSL is just..the lowest DSL package you can get. I was supposed to get a 1500 down upgrade...2 years ago and never got it..the work order said completed but logging into my dsl and resyncing showed the rate was limited to 768/128.

my cousin's DSL runs 3383/820 - my friends cable runs around 11190/2000 and my cousin's cable runs at around 9743/256

Verizon sent me a letter about upgrading to 3mbit..but of course, when i called them...they said "oh, you don't qualify for 3mbit" and i'm like "then why are you sending me ads for it and why did i never reciever the 1500 upgrade?"....she couldn't answer either question, but found the fact the work order for 1500 was put in but never done interesting....that's not to mention the number of times it goes down in the middle of the night.