Getting Floating Point error

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coriolanus

Getting Floating Point error

Post by Coriolanus »

Recently when I do a copy and Paste NEw or CUT and Paste New -- I get a Floating point error. Just started happening but then I just started with this Paste New thing too.

I am not running the most recent version ( but the version before that). I haven't installed .25 as I find installing on XP a PITA and there were no features in the .25 version that I particularly wanted.

When I get this error - the application does not shut down, nor does the actual paste fail. What is the problem here?
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

I can't help you with your question, but I'm puzzled as to why upgrading is difficult with XP.

I've been running XP since it came out and upgrading GW was probably the easiest upgrade of any software I use (and this includes photography software from Adobe - which by definition IS a PITA :lol: ).

Futhermore, it's just about the only software that has never (or rarely)hung up on me.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

I installed 5.25 and I am still getting the floating point error in a PASTE operation.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I've never seen this problem, so I probably can't help. I do use Paste New all the time (mostly to split-up songs from "live" recordings)...

BTW - Chris (GoldWave) does participate on these "user-to-user" forums, but not every day. You can contact GoldWave support directly via the Web Support Form.

Most "real" problems with GoldWave have something to do with formats and 3rd-party CODECs... What file formats are you using? If you are using any compressed formats, you might try converting the files to uncompressed WAV files before any editing. (GoldWave has to de-compress the files for editing anyway.)

Does this happen every time you use Paste New? With particular files? Randomly?

Is there anything else you can think of to tell us?
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DougDbug wrote:I've never seen this problem, so I probably can't help. I do use Paste New all the time (mostly to split-up songs from "live" recordings)...

BTW - Chris (GoldWave) does participate on these "user-to-user" forums, but not every day. You can contact GoldWave support directly via the Web Support Form.

Most "real" problems with GoldWave have something to do with formats and 3rd-party CODECs... What file formats are you using? If you are using any compressed formats, you might try converting the files to uncompressed WAV files before any editing. (GoldWave has to de-compress the files for editing anyway.)

Does this happen every time you use Paste New? With particular files? Randomly?

Is there anything else you can think of to tell us?
Had an Email from CHris and he suggested I use the Setup Parameter CORRECT FPU. I did that but it messed up the equilizer. But when I unchecked CORRECT FPU it fixed the equilizer and when I tried a cut and paste new I did not get the Floating Point error.

I assume that something must have gotten messed up or corrupted but CORRECT FPU seem to fix it -- I wsh I knew what the code actually did.

I am just doing ordinary .wav files. It just started up suddenly which was odd as I have been using it a lot and never had problems until the other day.