to long gaps between songs

GoldWave general discussions and community help
coonsanders

to long gaps between songs

Post by coonsanders »

hi
i was wondering if theres a way in goldwave to control the amout of time between the songs on a cd?i just made a cd and theres a gap of 10 seconds between the songs and i want to trim it down to about 3 seconds.is there a way to do that with
goldwave?thanks

lenny
DougDbug

Re: to long gaps between songs

Post by DougDbug »

First, you can simply delete some (or all) of the silence at the beginning and end of each song. (Highlight whatever you want to delete and hit the Del key on your keyboard, or click the Delete button in GoldWave).

Some CD burning software will insert a "standard" 2-second gap between songs.* If your software is doing that, it's adding 2 seconds to whatever silence you already have. (The burning software is just burning "data"... It doesn't 'know' if there's already silence in the audio file...)

Depending on your burning software,there are ways to burn a CD with no gaps. For example, if you're making a "live" CD you'd use one big WAV file (and a Cue sheet to put the track numpers in the right place). When I make a CD from an LP, DVD, etc., I'll usually use one big WAV file so the gaps are the same as the original LP/DVD (unless I do some additional editing) and the gaps (if any) don't get changed during burning.

* There are a couple of burning modes. I think the TAO mode (Track At Once) mode adds gaps, and the DAO mode (Disc At Once) does not.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hay doug

so this gap issue cant be fixed in goldwave.....which burning software do you use?i use either ashampoo or cdburnerxp.i cant find in these softwares where to adjust this option....thanks.

lenny
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

>so this gap issue cant be fixed in goldwave

Well if you experiencing 10 seconds of silence between songs, it's likely that most of that silence is in your original files (and not caused by your software.) So it can be remedied in GoldWave. It should be easy to tell.

The "standard" 2-second gap that DougDbug mentioned will show up on your CD player's display using a negative counter; i.e., -00:02, -00:01, 00:00 (at which point the audio track starts and the display progresses to count up from 00:00.) Anyway, if you're hearing silence and the counter display is counting up, then you know the extra silence is in the audio file itself; i.e., you can, indeed, delete it using GoldWave.

Good luck!

---

P.S. Based on your other thread that I replied in, I'm deducing that you have burned your MP3s to an audio CD (and not a data CD.) If your ultimate goal is to burn songs to an audio CD, I suggest you save your tracks to WAV (and not MP3). And burn the WAV files to CD. MP3 is lossy. Burning MP3s to an audio CD would be like buying a 50" widescreen HDTV only to end up using your old VHS player for your home theater experience (of course, not as extreme, but you get my drift.) :)
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

hay doug

so this gap issue cant be fixed in goldwave.....which burning software do you use?i use either ashampoo or cdburnerxp.i cant find in these softwares where to adjust this option....thanks.

lenny
Like I said, the burning software might be adding two seconds, not ten seconds.

Well... I happen to use CDRwin ($30 USD) for burning. I don't use it because it's the "best"... I've been using it for about 10 years and I'm used to it. I assume Nero & Roxio can burn gapless CDs too. Or, here are some instructions for using a cue sheet with ImgBurn (FREE!!!!). You can check the link above for instructions on how to write a cue sheet.

Writing a cue sheet is a little tricky, and it's best to start by copying & editing an existing cue sheet. And, the cue sheet has to be perfect... If you mis-type a filename or pathname, it's not going to find the file, and you can also get errors if you get the structure or syntax wrong.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi doug

i found out that the gaps were caused by not trimming the from or end of a song but i found out theres an option for this
its called auto trrim in goldwave.have u ever used it?how do you use it?

lenny
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

DougDbug wrote:Writing a cue sheet is a little tricky, and it's best to start by copying & editing an existing cue sheet. And, the cue sheet has to be perfect... If you mis-type a filename or pathname, it's not going to find the file, and you can also get errors if you get the structure or syntax wrong.
GoldWave actually can make cue sheets automatically. In the large multi-song file, just put all the cue points in all the right places. In the cue point dialogue box in GoldWave, you'll see a "disk" icon to save the cue points to a cue sheet (it does all the formatting for you.) :)

coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi
boy this is really getting complicated....cue sheets now my brain is over heating can u smell it from here?LOL.

lenny