getting the high with goldwave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
coonsanders

getting the high with goldwave

Post by coonsanders »

hi

im recording some cassette tapes again(i know cassette tapes are crap)but im cant find the highs on a tape because its not like a 78.how can you adjust find the highs with this type of recording?i assume you record each tune and then adjust it.
but how do you adjust it?thanks.

lenny
Gord

Re: getting the high with goldwave

Post by Gord »

High what? High volumes? High frequencies?

...or perhaps this is a recording of a Grateful Dead concert...? :wink:
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi
the highs in the wave i guess the high frequencies as you said...

lenny

the highs you get when the waves go to high and risk distortion.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Have you ever bothered to explore and experiment with the software you are trying to use? You might actually have to do some of the work yourself.

The tools are there. They are labeled. Most - and probably all - of them have "hot buttons" which take you to them directly. The "hot button" you need is identified by a circle with an exclamation point next to it. Place your cursor over it and the words "Maximize Volume" should appear. Or you can go to Effects > Volume > Maximize Volume. It will analyze the audio and find the highest volume peak and even tell you where to find it. If the peak is too low, the tool allows you to increase it. If it is too high, you can attenuate it.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Lenny,

I've tried to be nice and keep my mouth shut...but it seems you're becoming a problem.

I told you a few weeks ago that you need to read the manual, the help, and also learn a bit about digital audio. While we're here for help....WE'RE NOT HERE TO HOLD YOUR HAND.

You seem to come here, asking for help every step of the way rather than trying to figure it out yourself...most of us had to figure it out ourselves and we did fine.

This post right here...about "the highs"...where I assume you're talking about the amplitude of the wave as it approaches clipping....you should KNOW what that's called...it's basic audio. You should also know how to find it and how to record audio when you don't know exactly where it is.

Coming on here when you really have no idea what you're talking about..making up terms...not a way to get help. Sadly, it will get to the point that no one will want to read your posts so on the offchance you do have a serious issue one day, you won't receive any help. Don't think we don't remember (because, I at least do).

Your other post...about hiss reduction....REALLY could of been answered if you had read the manual, or gone through the effects.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

ok ill leave no prob...

lenny
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

No one said you had to leave exactly, but it'd be nice if you did some research on your own before coming here and asking basic questions.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi
ive been giving this some thouight......and i have red the manuels but still cant make head nor tail about them.ill wager the guys on this site have been doing this stuff for years...ive just startedone guy im emailing back and forth who use goldwave
said hes been ding this stuff since age 6.he then became a electrictrian.hes had many years experiance with this.how long
have you been doing this editing stuff?ill bet years...ive used nero and my share of problems with it including it wont install
among other things.then audicity then here.it never really gets easy because each software is different.i have tried to
experiment but then i wonder if i had done right or anything at all..i will try to be more independant in the future...thats my
story.

lenny
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

Lenny,

I've been using GoldWave for 10 years now. I don't consider myself "professional" by any means. But amongst my peers, I'm well above the 50th percentile when it comes to editing and engineering digital audio. When I look back at the first year that I used GoldWave, I laugh at how little I knew then about audio editing. It was all trial-and-error and experimenting with different effects. I've never formally looked up a topic in the manual. For me, it was more like:

Oh, I wonder what the "flanger" effect does; I've never even heard of the word? I'll give it a try OR

Mechanize? What the hell is that? I guess I'll see what it does. OR

"Noise Reduction;" now that's something I recognize! I'll have to fiddle with the settings. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I always read the info. from the "Help" button (that brings up the pertinent section from the manual.) For me, the exlanations from the manual/help-button came across as very clear and concise. But then again, I've always been a technically-inclined guy (i.e., a geek. I actually enjoy reading owner's manuals and technical documents) so perhaps the instructions from the manual, for me, was like looking through a children's picture book; easy as pie.

I don't know your level of technical prowess. But based on what you wrote and the way you've worded your various questions, I'm venturing a guess that perhaps you're no "geeky technophile" and maybe that's why you can't make "heads or tails" out of the manual. I honestly don't know.

All I can say is experiement with the features. If the manual seems to complicated, use Google or Wikipedia to look up the terms and/or expressions from the manual that don't make sense; hopefully to find some articles for the layman.

Best of luck.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

thanks....

lenny
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

(how long) have you been doing this editing stuff?
well....I started playing with Goldwave sometime between the ages of 13/14....I can't remember exactly WHEN I registered because it was maybe a week after discovering the trial version on a shareware CD that I ordered it...but at the time I'd been looking to get in to digital audio. This was sometime around 1997 (for the record, I turned 27 back in December)

When I started...the internet was a much different place. The forums didn't exist...the people that knew the stuff didn't want to even bother talking to newbies...I was basically left on my own...somewhat understanding the help but really gaining more from playing with the effects than anything...and after a while, it all started to make sense. The other things that helped was I started at the basics...I learned about just what this digital audio stuff was...I mean, there was a point that all I knew is the computer made sound...I had no idea how different it was from the traditional analog audio I was used to or anything...I knew there were rules that had to be followed...but I didn't know why.

However, within 2 years I had basic editing skills down pretty good and I just started touching a bit on audio restoration...along with learning the numerous lossy audio compression schemes floating around out there (and "collecting" as many of the files as I could). Then sometime around 2000 most of my innovation in Goldwave kind of stopped...school had kicked up and I was messing mostly with VB6 programming...that didn't last long as I left school sometime around the start of 2001 and started focusing more on audio stuff...and that's when I got heavy in to the audio restoration aspect...which actually is when I started getting in to the real hardcore engineering...noise reduction, using filters....it seemed that after the 2 year break I came back in with a new fresh understanding...and started focusing on restoration and other aspects of audio engineering.

Now, it's true, each program is different...and once you learn the basics of what you're doing I will tell you it's mostly learning the layout and workflow of other programs. I started off with Goldwave but these days I'm handy in Adobe Audition, iZotope RX...Protools...any number of programs....sure, it took me a while to learn each program...but the point is, when I did get in to them, my overall knowledge of what was going on was such that I understood the programs easier.

When I say you need to do some independant research...I tell you that as someone who's been down the road before...not because of a "I had to do it on my own so I'm not going to help you" attitude....the self-discovery of all of this will pay off much much more than a hand-holding how-to....granted i've written some howto's...those can be somewhat used as a "building-block"...showing you how something is done so you at least have some skills to expand upon.

The one thing I will tell you is try not to have a final project in mind when you do all of this....like...don't say I'm gonna do these tapes this weekend....for me, it was more like "i'm gonna do these tapes someday"...the lack of deadline puts you more in the mindset that you don't have to rush..and that doing the wrong effect, or seeing what this effect does is more acceptable than doing only what you need to do.

Remember, digital editing is non-destructive to a degree...nothing is final till you hit save and, in most cases, the preview will give you a good idea of what's going to happen before you commit to running the effect.

Don't stress out...have some fun... experiment....I'm convinced good audio-guys aren't taught...they just "happen"
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

ok
point well taken thanks...

lenny