Stereo to mono by removing one channel

GoldWave general discussions and community help
zigzag

Stereo to mono by removing one channel

Post by zigzag »

Sometimes I use a stereo recorder but only record on one of the channels.

How can I remove one of the channel of a two-channel recording?
DougDbug

Re: Stereo to mono by removing one channel

Post by DougDbug »

You can simply Save As mono.

I'm not sure, but you might need to Maximize Volume in the new mono file. I think the left & right channel levels are reduced to prevent clipping when the two channels are mixed together. But, you don't need that, since one channel is silent.
Last edited by DougDbug on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gord

Post by Gord »

Let's say you have a recording where everything is on the Left channel and the Right channel is silent.

If you use

File > Save As...

and choose a mono format then your file will only be at 50% volume because GoldWave will mix your 100% Left channel with your 0% Right channel.

To avoid that, use

Effect > Stereo > Channel Mixer...

and choose the "Mono left" preset. That will copy the Left channel onto the Right channel. Then, when you save as mono you'll get 100% volume.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Thank you DougDbug and Gord for your replies. I am surprised Goldwave can't simply let me remove one channel of a stereo recording so that I can:

(a) Work on the wanted channel without seeing the silent channel.
(b) Save the single wanted channel without having to compensate for altered volume level.

The sort of feature I was hoping to find might have been an option on a menu which would "Remove Channel 1" or "Remove Channel 2".

I choose to use Goldwave because it has lots of function, so I am a bit surprised not see this sort of straightforward feature. Perhaps my post could be considered as a feature request for a later release.

-zigzag
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

You can always select JUST the desired channel (CTRL-SHIFT-L for left channel or CTRL-SHIFT-R for right channel), then copy it (CTRL-C) and then paste the lone channel as a new file (CTRL-P). Since only one channel was selected and copied, the "paste as new" file will be a one-channel (mono) file WITHOUT any averaging being performed. The levels will be identical to the lone channel.