Eliminate loud noises

GoldWave general discussions and community help
tvz

Eliminate loud noises

Post by tvz »

Does Gold Wave have a way to scan a sound file; find undesired loud noises like loud coughs which are louder than the rest of the recorded conversation; and eliminate those coughs?

I know I can use "maximize volume" to identify the location of the loudest part of a recording; then manually go there and delete it; then go back and do the process again, over and over until I have found everything.

Or, I can use "Compressor" to reduce the volume of the louder parts. However, I find that if I try to reduce them too much, everything else starts to sound funny.

Is there a way to just find all the loud parts and let me just delete those exact sections?

Thanks!

-TVZ
donrandall

Re: Eliminate loud noises

Post by donrandall »

What you are talking about is editing and that means that you will have to do the work. You can isolate the offending sounds as you encounter them and then delete them, if appropriate, or perhaps find another remedy. Although I can't imagine what that might be, because those offending noises might well be blended in with some of the dialogue you wish to retain.

There are filters that can reduce the harshness of a sibilant "S" sound - they are called a "de-esser" and there are even filters that can make the sounds of a breath less noticeable, they are sometimes called a "de-breather".

I have never heard of a "de-cougher". I'm sorry I don't have better news for ya or some suggestions about how you can make it easy. However, Goldwave is probably the easiest editing software to use and will allow you to get a lot done in less time than some cumbersome and clumsy competitors.
tvz

Post by tvz »

Thanks Don. Just thought I'd ask.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

It is always a good idea to ask questions. Every once in a while, someone will come back with a suggestion that really makes life good! I hope your project turns out to be a spectacular success!