Recording with optical input (SPDIF)

GoldWave general discussions and community help
andi112

Recording with optical input (SPDIF)

Post by andi112 »

Hello

have a mini disc player (one for the stereo, not a portable) connected via an optical cable (SPDIF) to the corresponding input of the soundcard (Terratec Aureon 5.1 PCI). When I record from my minidisc and do a playback, so it sounds slightly like Mickey Mouse. The MD samples with 44.1 kHz. Accordingly, I have set the sound card. The hotline of Terratec thinks you should configure the recording software accordingly. Would be new to me and I do not know where !?
Has anyone an advice?

Best regards from Germany
andi112
DougDbug

Re: Recording with optical input (SPDIF)

Post by DougDbug »

Worst case, you can use Effect -> Time Warp -> Rate to resample the file. (I assume the ratio is 44.1/48.)

Did the Terratec card come with recording software? You can also try Audacity (FREE).

As I understand it, the (Terratec supplied) driver is supposed to communicate the sample rate to GoldWave (when everything is working properly). So either the driver is configured wrong, or the driver & GoldWave are not communicating. :( And, since GoldWave works with most soundcards/drivers, I've got to suspect there's something unusual or nonstandard (or defective) with the Terratec...

In theory, your choice of recording software shouldn't matter... The recording software just configures the soundcard/drivers, routes the data from your soundcard to the hard drive, and formats the file. Any re-sampling & level adjustment is (I think) handled at the driver level.
andi112

Post by andi112 »

Worst case, you can use Effect -> Time Warp -> Rate to resample the file. (I assume the ratio is 44.1/48.)
I do this exactly (91,875 %)

Did the Terratec card come with recording software? No.

You can also try Audacity (FREE). Same effect.

Here 2 pictures of the configuration of Goldwave and Zerratec :
Hmm, how can I insert pictures ?

As I understand it, the (Terratec supplied) driver is supposed to communicate the sample rate to GoldWave (when everything is working properly). So either the driver is configured wrong, or the driver & GoldWave are not communicating. And, since GoldWave works with most soundcards/drivers, I've got to suspect there's something unusual or nonstandard (or defective) with the Terratec...
Yes that is exactly my opinion. But I configured the soundcard with 44,1 kHz. That is the reason why I don't understand the effect. OS = Windows 7/64 bit 4 GB RAM
With another soundcard (elta 8626SKS) and XP Pro with 512 MB RAM it worked very well.

andi112
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Here 2 pictures of the configuration of Goldwave and Zerratec :
Hmm, how can I insert pictures ?
I don't believe you can directly insert an image. You can upload to ImageShack or something similar, and then you can insert a link using the [Img] button in the edit window.
andi112

Post by andi112 »

When I use the IMG - Button, I get something like this :

[img][ /img]

What to do ?

andi112
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I've had this issue with Goldwave and optical recording. Even though you set a sample rate in your new file, it does not lock the SPDIF to that rate..and Windows, at least for me, always ignored the SPDIF rate.

Look around the options and see if there's a bit-perfect option..sometimes that will screw it up.

But I think the tech support is wrong because they dont' know what the problem is.
andi112

Post by andi112 »

I've had this issue with Goldwave and optical recording. Even though you set a sample rate in your new file, it does not lock the SPDIF to that rate..and Windows, at least for me, always ignored the SPDIF rate.

Which soundcard and which OS are you using ? Did you find any solution for this problem ?

Look around the options and see if there's a bit-perfect option..sometimes that will screw it up.]

I couldn't find any optioms like this neither in the adjustmenst for the soundcard nor in the OS.

andi112
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

It was windows xp with a creative x-fi. My problem was it was in bit-perfect mode...so it ignored all software settings and passed the bitstream as-is.

Your card likely doesn't have a bit perfect option.
Greer

Post by Greer »

In this case I would just loop back by hooking up the optical out to the optical input and recording the input by making the "realtek digital input".
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Since your queston has nothing to do with the original question/topic, next time click "New Topic" to start a new thread...

:( I doubt there's anything you can do. In theory, it should be reversable, but you'd have to know the Dolby parameters, which as far as I know have never been published, and you'd have to know how to program.

GoldWave doesn't have this effect*, but you might look for a multiband compressor effect. You could use that to compress the high frequencies without affecting the mid & lower frequencies. But, I have a feeling that you won't be able to match the Dolby settings and it might make things worse.

* I suppose you could use high-pass & low-pass filters to make a high-frequency file and a low-frequency file. Then compress the high-frequency file, and re-mix the files. But, you might get phase related issues (a boost or cut in the frequency response) at the crossover point when you re-combine the files.
Gord

Post by Gord »

Sorry, Doug, but you got fooled by a spammer. That question was an exact copy/paste of the original post in another thread here.