Suggestions for Goldwave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
aftermath

Suggestions for Goldwave

Post by aftermath »

I have some feature suggestions which would make GoldWave even better than it already is:

1) It would be nice if the Y amplitude axis numbering could be set to decibel format. This way settings in plugins (e.g. maximize) make more sense IMO.

2) I find that two Play buttons (green and yellow) are not enough for me. I keep finding myself "reprogramming" the buttons just because I want some other play function. Why limit the user to using just 2 play modes a time when you have 7 play modes to offer? It would be great if all possible play modes would (either) have: a dedicated button/toolbar, a separate menu (currently play functions aren't listed on the main menu at all) or/and dedicated keyboard shortcuts.

3) I think that there should be an option to always draw the 0 Y-axis line over the wave instead of underneath it. This would would provide a much better visual representation of DC-offsets when the wave is fully zoomed out.

4) A wave file preview option in the File Open Dialog. Yes, I've suggested this before in a a previous topic so I won't elaborate on it again, I just added it here again for completeness sake :)

Your thoughts on these ideas are welcome.
JackH

Post by JackH »

2) I find that two Play buttons (green and yellow) are not enough for me.
I like that one a lot, I often do as you describe. Also, while we're on the subject of suggestions...

Something I've often wished for is a shape channel balance control. This would work similarly to the current shape volume control, except it would alter the channel balance (increase one channel and decrease the other).

I work with a lot of older recordings whose channel balance varies over the course of the material. I can use the shape volume to correct this, but it's usually a two-step process -- one to increase the level of one channel, and another to decrease the level of the other.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for Goldwave

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

1) A decibel y-axis is in the works.

2) You can right-click on a playback button to quickly change its mode.

3) The zero line will be a dotted line on top of the waveform in the next update.

4) I'm still examining that possibility.

A channel balance effect would be similar to the Pan effect, but without any channel mixing. I'll add an option for that in a future update.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris
aftermath

Post by aftermath »

Thank you for your answers, I'm looking forward to the next update :)

Just a remark on item 2:
2) You can right-click on a playback button to quickly change its mode.
This only seems to work in the Control Window, not in the Control Toolbar. It would be nice if you could enable this also for the toolbar in the next update.

Still I really would prefer a dedicated (optional) toolbar or (optional) toolbar buttons (or a menu or shortcut keys) for every play mode so I wouldn't have to switch mode at all. You've got the technology right there under the hood so why not offer it to users who prefer this instead of the regular 2 play-buttons approach?
unoblee

Post by unoblee »

Is there a way to arrange the right and left sound windows next to each other rather than above and below?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There is no way to do it automatically, but you can use the Window | Tile Vertically command to do it manually.

Chris
Ry Spy

Post by Ry Spy »

Goldwave Inc., in the future update, can you also add more frequency bands to the Equalizer (e.g. 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz...). :D
Extreme™
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

For more bands and greater control, try the Parametric Equalizer instead. It supports up to 40 bands.

Chris
unoblee

Post by unoblee »

I really like the volume control in goldwave. I prefer to use this, for configuring volume and devices, over the generic one. Thanks
chaz_

Post by chaz_ »

Maybe too late for the next release but...

1) In the joystick control, having a start record/pause record instead of a start record/stop record function.

2) Having a visible cursor and a "play from cursor" fonction.

3) The ability to zoom in pourcentages of the whole file instead of time scale.

4) A lower priority for cpu usage. When it saves or perfoms a filter, the computer is pretty much locked...

5) An ability to create a sequential pattern for manually set cuepoints (ctrl-Q). I read books for blind people, and for each page I put a marker while I read. But then I have to rename them all one by one so they're named with the page number, so I can split them and have proper filenames. So if I could say "start at 061" and "increment by one" the job would be done!
unoblee

Post by unoblee »

I would like a second user play button in Goldwave too, as it would greatly speed up editing...how about a purple one? I still think that this is the best audio recording and editing program ever!
DewDude420

Goldwave DOES have file preview....

Post by DewDude420 »

i don't know about you guys...but Goldwave 5.10 DOES have a file preview in the Open File dialog..it's on the right side by the file list, green play button. select a file and hit play and the selected file will play
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Some good suggestions for features for the future!

The one I would like to see would provide me with winning lottery numbers.
Sarge

Re: Goldwave DOES have file preview....

Post by Sarge »

DewDude420 wrote:i don't know about you guys...but Goldwave 5.10 DOES have a file preview in the Open File dialog..it's on the right side by the file list, green play button. select a file and hit play and the selected file will play
While you're right about that, but look at the date he posted (October 22, 2004). He posted before version 5.10 came out, which didn't include the "preview file" button. As you can see Goldwave listens, and answers to its suggestions (whereas a lot of companies don't), which is why I think Goldwave is great!!