Invalid Image Size

GoldWave general discussions and community help
johnp

Invalid Image Size

Post by johnp »

I downloaded GoldWave 5.65 and when I try to run it a box comes up that says "Invalid Image Size." How can I fix this or revert to the earlier version I had. I am a retiree with limited computer skills.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Invalid Image Size

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Another user reported a similar error. I suspect it has something to do with certain video drivers when creating images for the tool bar, but need to gather more information. Do you know what video hardware is installed in your computer? Check to make sure you have the latest video/display driver from the manufacturer. Also try completely uninstalling GoldWave and re-installing to ensure no old plug-ins are installed.

If anyone else is having this problem, please feel free to post or contact me with details.

You can find the older version (v5.58) here.

Chris
65ac.cobra

Post by 65ac.cobra »

I too am having the "Invalid Image Size" error.

I completely removed the older version and started as a new install for 5.65. The video card is a ATI Radeon 5450. I'm assuming it has something to do w/the graphics driver, but haven't found the solution yet.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Try using "GoldWave Setup" from the Windows Start menu, then check the "Disable effect plug-ins". Does that help?

Chris
65ac.cobra

Post by 65ac.cobra »

That does let the program load. Exactly what was disabled? Am I loosing any functionality?
katravax

Post by katravax »

I've found a condition that definitely causes this problem, and I was able to work around it.

I have some custom resolutions set up for my various monitors, and several of those are non-standard sizes that I use for various purposes. One example is 1228 x 768.

When running these non-standard resolutions, I also get the "invalid image size" message. When I change back to any standard resolution, GoldWave then runs fine. I'm using version 5.65.
JohnLance

Post by JohnLance »

I also am experiencing the same issue. I get this message:
Error "Invalid image size" adding icon from module GWVST. Image size is 12x12 (16x16 required).

with GoldWave 5.67

I have a dual display system and run at 3200x1200 pixels.

The message goes away when I go into setup and disable effects.

I hope you can get this fixed soon. I cannot be fiddling with my resolution on the monitors.

Thanks!
dwpenn

Post by dwpenn »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Try using "GoldWave Setup" from the Windows Start menu, then check the "Disable effect plug-ins". Does that help?

Chris
That solved it for me. I was getting a slightly different error than some of the others, the sizes were different. In my case it was "Error "Invalid image size" adding icon from module GWVST. Image size is 14x14 (16x16 required)."

For what it's worth I don't think Gold Wave broke anything, I think some environmental outside Goldwave caused this error to start. I've been using 5.70 on a Win7 [64] system ever since it came out, but this error only began in the last several days, I noticed others encountered it quite awhile back. I'm always able to work after receiving that error, but often receive a more disturbing error at the end of a recording, modification, or saving but it seems to not effect the work I've just done. I do have a standard desktop setting, so that removes one of the speculations as it applies to me.

I have no idea what changed in Goldwave's environment, but it may have been ssome update Microsoft foisted on me as a "you need this general O.S. update." I haven't changed or installed anything myself at the timing of when this started to occur.
Dean Pennington
dwpenn

Post by dwpenn »

Error "Invalid image size" adding icon from module GWVST.
Image size is 14x14 (16x16 required).

Going to the Program Startup Menu, to the GoldWave folder and executing GOLDWAVE STARTUP and de-selecting "Effect Add-ins" (to disable) worked for me. I guess I don't use all of these add'ins. What did I loose in tradeoff to avoid this error?

I ask because though I received the error each startup (an annoyance to be sure), once I cleared it functionally everything I use worked fine, it's as if that error had no effect other than to product that one pop-up complaint. Earlier versions of Goldwave didn't do this to me.

As you can see I chimed in on this before about a year back, it happened again on my newest PC and though I tried the workaround you suggested before on another PC to no avail, but on this PC it did the trick.

Thanks, Dean
Dean Pennington
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The problem seems to be related to the display DPI setting in Windows. If you haven't installed any VST plug-ins, then you aren't losing any functionality.