New Computer and Trouble

GoldWave general discussions and community help
piano nick

New Computer and Trouble

Post by piano nick »

I really shouldn't have done it - had the HDDs on my machine cleaned and formatted, and Win XP reinstalled.

Sure, it's much faster, but:

1) I didn't pay enough attention to the setup of my soundcard (EMU 1820M),

2) I didn't pay enough attention to the setup of Goldwave, and I forget how to do it.

Now when I play a midi in my Pianoteq software (which generates piano sounds and which I can hear coming from my soundcard), there is no sound input into Goldwave. The VU meters don't move.

In Goldwave under Options/Control Properties/Device/Record Test, I get the following:
"No signal detected on left channel. Check cables, power, volume, or select a different input or device."
Same thing on right channel.

There are no cables to check; the soundcard works because I can play a wave file in Goldwave and hear it. I can play a midi file in Pianoteq and hear it. But the VU meters don't flicker in Goldwave when an outside sound source is played (by outside I mean Windows Media Player or Pianoteq).

In Goldwave under Options/Control Properties/System/Information, Input Levels shows: No master input control, Wave = zero level (with "unselected" in brackets).

In Goldwave under Options/Control Properties/System Information, Configure, takes me to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties/Audio/Sound Recording/Volume, the message "there is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, to go Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware and then click "Add Hardware". This does not work.

When I use "Add Hardware", and follow the prompts, the Add Hardware Wizard indicates that the EMU soundcard is already installed (this is obvious as it works).

For some reason, I can't get Goldwave to "hear" any sound - even when I play a wave in Goldwave, I can't record it in Goldwave.

I'm baffled - perhaps I've been away from this for too long.

Glenn aka Piano Nick
Gord

Re: New Computer and Trouble

Post by Gord »

After your system rebuild did you check to make sure that you have the latest drivers for your sound card? It appears that the Playback part is working but the Recording side is broken (Windows does not detect a "mixer device").

Also, what, if anything, do you see on the "Volume" tab of GoldWave's "Control Properties" dialog (F11)?
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Gord wrote:After your system rebuild did you check to make sure that you have the latest drivers for your sound card? It appears that the Playback part is working but the Recording side is broken (Windows does not detect a "mixer device").

Also, what, if anything, do you see on the "Volume" tab of GoldWave's "Control Properties" dialog (F11)?
Gord:

Good points - I'll check for updates.

In the Volume tab, the volume is always at zero - when I increase the volume, select OK, exit the screen, and return, it's back at zero again. :?:

Glenn
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

I've installed the latest soundcard drivers.

The following is a link to a screen shot (download for better visibility):

http://www.box.com/s/ki8gymgg4zbpee2a8flc

On the left is the control screen for the soundcard (Patchmix) showing ASIO OUT 31/32, with VU meters flashing.

On the right is the screen for Pianoteq (software that generates piano sounds from a midi file), with VU meters flashing.

My near field monitors and headphones are plugged into the external box of the soundcard. Both play quite well.

The problem is that with these running and putting out music, I get no signal into Goldwave - the VU meters don't flash, and I'm beginning to suspect that there is something amiss in Windows XP, but don't know what the next step should be.

Screen shots of Goldwave:

http://www.box.com/s/gccsjde2j7isgjy0vql1

http://www.box.com/s/b58a92hg208jdkqu1b9b

http://www.box.com/s/7xpn1h0c27k0b20o2rpt

Glenn
Gord

Post by Gord »

On the "Device" tab of GoldWave's "Control Properties" dialog do you have any options available in the drop-down list for the "Record" source other than "E-DSP Wave [1000] [071B]"?

For example, on my machine the choices are...

Primary Sound Capture Driver [07E7]
Line In (Realtek High Definition Audio) [08B5]
Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio) [06D3]

...and I have to choose the last one ("Stereo Mix") if I want to record audio that my computer is playing.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Gord wrote:On the "Device" tab of GoldWave's "Control Properties" dialog do you have any options available in the drop-down list for the "Record" source other than "E-DSP Wave [1000] [071B]"?

For example, on my machine the choices are...

Primary Sound Capture Driver [07E7]
Line In (Realtek High Definition Audio) [08B5]
Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio) [06D3]

...and I have to choose the last one ("Stereo Mix") if I want to record audio that my computer is playing.
Gord:

I just tried "Primary Sound Capture Driver [07E7]", and I get the same results - nothing.

I'm going to study the manual for the soundcard.

Glenn
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There should be a recording device other than "Primary Sound Capture Driver". If that is the only device listed, then the recording part of the sound driver isn't installed or working properly. The fact that the volume levels are always zero suggests a driver problem too.

Chris